From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Sarton appointed to Foundation post

From "Wilma Shuffitt"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 01 Jul 1998 16:24:28

Date: July 1, l998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98b-38

     INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- The Rev. Donald Sarton,
Albuquerque, N.M., has been called as assistant vice president of
development of the Christian Church Foundation. He begins the
new assignment Sept. 1, and will be based in Colorado Springs,
Colo.

     The Rev. James P. Johnson, foundation president,
announced the appointment today (July 1). Sarton succeeds the
Rev. Bill Robertson, who retired earlier this year. Sarton is
currently senior minister at Los Altos Christian Church (Disciples
of Christ).

     "We look forward to having Don join the foundation staff,"
Johnson said. "He brings with him a deep love for the church, many
years of experience as a successful congregational pastor and a
great understanding of the regional and general manifestations of
the church."

     As CCF's West Zone representative, Sarton will work with
donors and congregations in the Arizona, Northern
California-Nevada, Central Rocky Mountain, South Idaho,
Montana, Northwest, Oregon and Pacific Southwest regions.

     Sarton has been at Los Altos since February 1994, leading
the church through a successful capital campaign to build a new
sanctuary and developing a youth ministry and church growth
program. He also has held pastorates at North Side Christian
Church, Omaha, Neb.; Crusade Christian Church in Loveland,
Colo.; First Christian Church, Burlington, Colo.;  Eagle Rock
(Calif.) Christian Church; and First Christian Church, North
Hollywood, Calif.

     He also served seven years as the chief Protestant chaplain
at Father Flanagan's Boys' Home, Boys Town, Neb.

     "The finest ministry we can provide," Sarton said, "is to
help people deal with their anxieties and feel significant as they
make a difference in our world. This is an important role for the
foundation. We help people reduce their anxieties over their estates
and at the same time provide significant assistance for ministries
dear to their hearts."

     Sarton has served on various regional committees
throughout his career. He most recently was on the board of
trustees for the National Benevolent Association, serving as
president 1996-1997. While on the NBA board, he also chaired the
presidential search committee and the strategic planning committee.

     He received a bachelor's degree from Chapman University,
Orange, Calif., and a doctor of  ministry degree from the School of
Theology at Claremont, Calif.

                   - end -