From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Evangelical Alliance announces departure of Church Life Director

From "EAUK Press Office" <press@eauk.org>
Date 07 Jul 1998 17:45:40

Immediate Release:  8th July 1998

A senior director of the Evangelical Alliance UK is to leave his
post at the end of this year.  Church Life Director John
Earwicker will become Senior Minister at Purley Baptist Church in
Surrey from January 1999.

John Earwicker has been at the Evangelical Alliance for 10 years,
the last six of which have been as church life director.  In that
time he has introduced and developed a number of Local
Evangelical Fellowships - local town-wide associations of
evangelical churches, and church membership of the Alliance has
more than doubled.  He has strengthened and developed overseas
links and facilitated the twinning of a number of UK churches
with those in Croatia.  Later this year he will launch a new
project to develop churches disciple-making skills.

The previous minister of Purley Baptist Church, John Balchin,
left two years ago.  Steve Chalke, the television presenter and
council member of the Evangelical Alliance has been acting
moderator.

John Earwicker, currently on a planned three-month sabbatical,
said: "In my 10 years at the Evangelical Alliance I have been
delighted to see a new confidence among evangelical churches.
Old arguments setting evangelism against social action have
declined, trust amongst leaders has increased and most of our
churches are growing.  It has been a privilege to lead our
talented Church Life Team and to serve our growing membership.

"Having initiated our new focus on disciple-making, I am glad to
respond to God's call to work this out with a new team at Purley
Baptist Church.  I have learnt a great deal from my colleagues,
especially Joel Edwards.  I am grateful for his wish that I stay
involved with the Evangelical Alliance through the
Disciple-Making Churches project."

Joel Edwards, general director of the Evangelical Alliance,
praised John's commitment and dedication to the Alliance, saying:
"The EA has benefited enormously from the wealth of experience
and gifting which John has brought as church life director over
the past six years.  John has also been a very supportive
colleague in my first year as general director. I know we all
join in paying tribute to his service at the Alliance and pray he
will know success in his new ministry at Purley Baptist Church."

Dr Derek Copley, the chairman of the Evangelical Alliance Council
and the former principal of Moorlands Bible College, added: "Only
time will reveal the depth and variety of John's many
contributions to evangelicalism in the UK through the Evangelical
Alliance.  His pioneering spirit, clear strategic thinking,
networking skills and his ability to impart vision have marked
him out as an outstanding leader.  Whether it be stimulating
prayer or participating in the launch of yet another Local
Evangelical Fellowship, John has pursued these with vigour
coupled with his own brand of good humour.

"The Evangelical Alliance wishes him well during the next phase
of his ministry.  He has spent these last years resourcing the
local church, often from a distance.  Now he has the opportunity
of devoting all his energies to working at grass-roots level."

The Evangelical Alliance will be advertising the post of church
life director shortly.

ENDS

For further information, contact:

Keith Ewing, kewing@eauk.org