From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Korean response

From Beth Hawn
Date 08 Jul 1998 13:50:07

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
To:  'Worldwide Faith News'
Date: 1998-07-08 14:10
Message ID: 39D09CC83A16D211AAB0006008075ABF
Conversation ID: Korean response

July 8, 1998
Mennonite Board of Missions
Beth Hawn
219-294-7523
<NEWS@MBM.org>

First person: 'Their good deeds and witness are still in my heart'

NEWTON, Kan. (GCMC/MBM)--Following the visit by eight members of Vineland

(Ont.) United Mennonite Church (VUMC) to the Abba Shalom Koinonia
community
in South Korea, Kim Jung- Og, a member of the community, wrote the
following
reflections:

"Korea is a very different country from Canada. The language, culture and

thinking are totally different. Our community, Abba Shalom Koinonia, is
in a
deep mountain valley in Kangwon province, South Korea. I wanted to share
the
bright light of God together with the eight members of VUMC, though this
was a
strange land to them and we are a different race of people. During the
two weeks
of their visit, I sensed the fragrance and light of Jesus through their
lives
and their work. I want to share with you some of my experience while they
were
here.

"The day that they arrived, it was late at night. I knew that the
surroundings
would be uncomfortable for them, for example sleeping and sitting on the
floor, yet they offered a prayer of thanks to God for leading them.
Despite
their jet lag, they wanted to begin working the next day without taking
much
time to rest. They discussed their plans for working and were introduced
Abba Shalom and Korea. Their work projects for the two weeks included
fixing
the entrance way to the Shalom house (our main guest house), building a
wood
shelter, strengthening and staining some old benches, burying pipe for
completing the installation of our boiler system and making a Canadian
flower garden. I was struck by their determination and desire to work.
Since
their purpose for coming here was to work, they were always concerned
when
people invited them out for meals and sightseeing that they would not
have
enough time to complete their jobs.

"One day, however, we were able to make a trip to see the Demilitarized
Zone
between North and South Korea, an infiltration tunnel which was built by
North Korea, and various other historic sites. When they saw these
things,
they saw that God's first hope for Korea is reunification. We had a good
chance
to fellowship during that time. We also had good fellowship during our
daily
meals together. They prepared breakfast and lunch on their own in
Canadian
style, but they wanted to eat Korean food every day for supper. I
prepared it
for them and was worried that they would not be able to eat it well
because it is
so hot and strong. I was really surprised at how much they enjoyed it.

"During their whole stay, they provided for everything that they needed-
their food, transportation and materials for work-- without expecting any

benefits or gain. I felt apologetic because they spent so much money to
come
here and still gave so much to us. Even when they left, they donated the
rest of
the money from their church to us in the name of Jesus. I wondered why
they had
come here without expecting or receiving any benefits. My human nature
felt
awkward and embarrassed that they had provided for all of their needs
during
their stay, and then left money for us. But I realized that in Christ, we
are
brothers and sisters despite our different skin colors, foods and
cultures.
The sharing in Christ that they showed is really the meaning of our
community.

"One evening, Pastor Brubacher shared with us and some visiting pastors
about the basic foundations of the Mennonite church. I have never studied

Mennonite history or theology, but have only heard pieces about it from
my
husband and other church members. I realized that the teachings of the
Mennonite church are not new or very different from other denominations
or
with what I had learned in seminary. The important thing that I saw was
that the
Mennonites really practice their faith through discipleship. That is what

really separates them from other Christians whose lives don't correspond
with their faith. The VUMC group really showed this to me. Though we
didn't
have the chance to share with one another verbally about our faith as we
usually do in Korean Christian meetings by praying together, they shared
their faith with me through their actions. The good deeds and witness of
the
VUMC group are still shining in my heart. I praise God for the chance to
see Him
through their good deeds."

                 * * *
mz