From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hope, Distress Intertwined in North Korea

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 10 Jul 1998 17:35:40

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: carolf@ncccusa.org

NCC7/10/98                 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

HOPE, DISTRESS INTERTWINED IN NORTH KOREA,
ERICH WEINGARTNER REPORTS

 NEW YORK, July 10 ---- North Korea's slow-
moving, long-term shortage of food has left an
entire nation weakened and vulnerable to disease.
People continue to live very much on the edge, and
the situation could tip back over into famine at any
time.  Yet there is hope even in the midst of
continuing distress.

 That is the report of Erich Weingartner,
serving within the World Food Programme in
Pyongyang, North Korea, for the past year as liaison
officer to non-governmental organizations ("ngos").
He took five days (July 6-10) out of his month-long
"home leave" for meetings in New York and
Washington, D.C., with governmental and non-
governmental bodies, including the churches, and
with news media.  He will return to North Korea next
week for another term.

 A member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada and former Executive Secretary in the
Commission of Churches on International Affairs for
the World Council of Churches, Geneva, Switzerland,
Mr. Weingartner was nominated to his WFP post by
Church World Service (CWS)*, the humanitarian
response ministry of the (U.S.) National Council of
Churches, which hosted him during his U.S. visit.

Responsible for tracking ngos' humanitarian aid
from arrival through distribution, his expenses in
Pyongyang are paid by an international coalition of
humanitarian agencies, with CWS as the lead agency.

 A series of floods, tidal waves and drought led
to widespread crop failures three years' running
(1995-97) in North Korea, a mountainous country with
only 20 percent arable land.

 Few, if any, North Americans have broader
knowledge of the food crisis in North Korea than
Erich Weingartner.  He is an officer of the
interagency forum in Pyongyang, trains World Food
Programme monitors and travels extensively in
country -- he has been in all but 39 of North
Korea's 210 counties -- to observe the food
situation and distribution of donated aid.

 "When I arrived in North Korea last June," he
said, "I saw some of the worst cases of malnutrition
I have seen anywhere in the world.  In many
nurseries and kindergartens, I saw rows of emaciated
children lying still, and they looked like they
wouldn't survive."  In fact, many children died.

 The World Food Programme, a United Nations
agency that receives donations from both governments
and non-governmental organizations, put concentrated
effort into feeding children up to age six, and as a
result, "we are not seeing the same extent of
malnutrition this year," Mr. Weingartner said.  Now,
when we visit a kindergarten, we may be told, `We
don't have malnutrition anymore.'  But they may say,
`We have 10 weak children.'"

 Now diarrhea has become common among children,
aggravated by the breakdown of North Korea's water
purification system and a severe shortage of
medicines and medical supplies.  "Now I see school-
aged children in the hospitals -- for example, 11-
year-olds so thin, their growth so stunted that they
look like five-year-olds.  On home visits I
sometimes find school-aged children.  When I ask,
`Shouldn't he be in school?,' I may be told, `Well,
he's been ill.'"

 In response, the World Food Programme -- while
continuing its assistance to preschoolers as a
priority -- has initiated a "school snack project"
that will provide children a daily, high-energy
snack.  And the European Community is targetting its
86,000 metric tons in food aid this year to school-
aged children, Mr. Weingartner said.  Other donors
are targetting other vulnerable populations,
including pregnant women, nursing mothers and the
elderly.

 According to the United Nations, last year's
rice and corn harvest in North Korea fell 1.8
million metric tons short of the six to seven
million tons needed by the nation's 23 million
people until this year's harvest, and the government
rations ran out in April.  The World Food Programme
has appealed for 658,000 metric tons in food aid,
but has received pledges from the international
community for only about 300,000 tons, Mr.
Weingartner said.

 He expressed his hope that projects like the
school snacks project, along with a growing number
of projects seeking to have a longer-term impact on
North Korea's agricultural capacity, will help
attract additional donations.  "Donors want to see
signs that change will happen to solve the problem
eventually," Mr. Weingartner said.

"North Korea needs not only food now but food
security, a rebuilding of its infrastructure to the
point where it can handle its own problems," he told
colleagues in faith-based humanitarian organizations
in New York on Friday.  "Churches in the `West' have
an important advocacy role, to point governments in
the direction of long-term solutions.  Capital,
investments, lifting of sanctions - all this is
important and must go hand-in-hand with food aid."

 This week in New York and Washington, D.C., Mr.
Weingartner's appointments included the National
Security Council, U.S. Institute for Peace, World
Bank, Adventist Disaster Relief Agency, US AID, U.S.
State Department, InterAction, Church World
Service/NCC, Korea Sharing Movement and members of
Congress.   Here are some more of the stories he is
telling -- stories of distress and of hope:

* "Despite North Korea's deep embarrassment at
having to accept international donations to survive,
this crisis has given the opportunity for the
international community to build some bridges to a
people isolated for some 50 years," he said.

"The North Korean people know that when they
are really in trouble, even their mortal enemies are
willing to put aside politics and help.  We have a
chance really to make peace with our concern.  It's
an opportunity to demonstrate they are not alone.
It's light for the future."

 * Mr. Weingartner praised the continuing
generosity of the United States government (200,000
metric tons of food aid pledged this year) and the
genuine interest, especially by churches and other
non-governmental organizations, "in what's happening
to people in North Korea.  Many ngos send
delegations, then return home to share the
information."

 For example, a delegation from the Irish agency
Trocaire described the Irish Potato Famine and told
everyone they met, "We know what famine is about.
We want to be in solidarity," and a great bond
developed with many ordinary North Koreans, Mr.
Weingartner said.

* North Koreans are growing vegetables on
virtually every spare inch of land, including on
high, steeped mountainsides and railroad slopes --
helping short term but worrisome longer term because
of the exposure of land to erosion. They've dug up
their lawns to plant kitchen gardens.  One family
expanded its kitchen garden by digging a foot or two
into the dirt road in front of their house.

Families raise rabbits, chickens and sometimes
even a pig in one room of their house or apartment.
People search out "alternative foods" - edible
grasses, seaweed, mushrooms, bark, roots, berries -
often gathering and processing these commodities
collectively for distribution community-wide.

 * Extra produce is sold or traded in public
markets.  A monthly, hush hush phenomenon barely a
year ago, now public markets take place as often as
three times a week and are talked about openly.

 * Hospitals are surrounded by herb gardens, for
production of alternative medicines.  There is not
much else in stock.  Doctors Without Borders,
UNICEF, the World Health Organization and others are
giving particular attention to acquiring medicines,
updating medical equipment and techniques for
capable but heretofore isolated medical
professionals and supporting public health education
on malnutrition-related problems.

 * "I am able to travel freely, along with my
interpreter and driver," Mr. Weingartner said.   "We
meet with county officials.  We ask to go to this
nursery or that kindergarten.  We may if we know
where it is and, increasingly, we do.  Access is not
perfect, but it's becoming better and better.

 "While we're looking at where and how our
commodities are being used, we're also collecting
information about people's health.  We go right into
homes, visit hospitals, and talk with people waiting
in line for food.  People are always gracious.  They
thank me.  I tell them it's not me personally, there
are many concerned people overseas interested in
helping.

 "People say it's very difficult for them to
`show their hands,' that is, `to ask for a handout.'
One woman told me, `We'd rather be the ones to give
the aid.  If you ever have difficulty, and once we
are back in a good situation, we hope we can return
10 times what you gave to us.'  People are reluctant
to accept the aid.  They are accepting it because
they have to.  They are going to be willing to
return the favor.  I think we're building the future
with this help."

-end-

* Church World Service, which has a long history of
contact with North Korea, especially with the Korean
Christians Federation, has provided more than $2.8
million in humanitarian assistance to North Korea
since 1996, including food, medicine, clothing,
blankets, diesel generators and greenhouses.

 -0-