From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CORRECTION (This is a corrected version of release no.

From "Wilma Shuffitt"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 16 Jul 1998 13:30:52

98b-41)
Disciples congregations show marginal growth in  '97
Date: July 15, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98b-41

     INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- Numbers typically don't lie.
Nevertheless, the latest figures showing a membership drop in the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) don't show the whole
picture.

     The recently released 1988 Yearbook and Directory of the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) shows a total membership
decline from 910,297 to 882,721 in 1997.

     "Overall we're still slowly declining," said the Rev.
Lawrence Steinmetz, editor, referring to the total membership
numbers. "Yet it's difficult to tell how much from the numbers
alone. Our figures show that a majority of churches have grown or
remained the same."

     The membership increases are "very modest," representing
two or three baptisms or a few additions. Nonetheless, these efforts
should be commended, said the yearbook editor.

     "We need to celebrate the fact that some of these churches
are doing a bang-up job. I don't think we should be in lamentation
over the overall decline, as much as affirming there are some great
things going on in many of our congregations."

     Some of the best things are going on with congregations in
formation -- or new church starts. Many of these churches are
doing well, Steinmetz said. "Most are on their way to growing
bigger -- and they will."

     Across the church, 24 of the 36 regions have fledgling
congregations. About a third are Hispanic and are in the Pacific
Southwest, the Southwest and Florida regions. The remainder are
Korean, Anglo or African American.

     The most vibrant churches seem to be those between 100
and 500 members. "Many of these are experiencing steady
growth," Steinmetz said. Many are Midwestern congregations,
often located in county seat communities. "There are some real
exciting stories going on there."

     In these churches, "there's enough critical mass to do some
things," he mused. In congregations with less than 100, any
membership loss is a crisis. Rural congregations frequently tend to
fit in this category. There's no discounting the valuable ministry
that goes on here. Nevertheless, with every passing year a nagging
question remains. "If so-and-so dies what will we do?"

     However, overall, Steinmetz believes "we're growing" and
have "turned the corner.".

     Membership numbers reported in the annual directory "are
at best an estimation in many congregations," said Steinmetz.
Pastoral leadership changes, changing community settings and
other factors can affect the figures. In addition, up to 25 percent
of
Disciples congregations don't report their membership and giving
figures.

     Congregational numbers will typically fluctuate during
leadership changes. They will often increase as pastors close a
ministry in a congregation, drop during the interim period, and rise
after a new pastor arrives.

     In many communities there are old, established
congregations whose membership is relatively stable. "St. Louis
inner city churches, for example, are holding their own. There's no
phenomenal growth," he said. On the other hand, congregations in
"volatile" or changing suburban communities have numbers that
fluctuate from year to year.

     Non-reporting congregations are another matter. When
congregations don't submit their statistics, averages for giving,
attendance and membership are used for up to three years. If a
congregation does not provide updated figures in that time, its
figures are no longer listed in the directory. This does not mean,
however, that they cease being recognized congregations,
according to Steinmetz.

The Year Book and Directory editor pointed out a typographical error
on page 628 of the 1998 publication.  The total number of
participating members in 1997 is mistakenly reported as 510,974 in
the "two-year comparison by regions" table.  The figure should read
570,974, matching the total participating membership reported on page
626.

                 -- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm