From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Russian student finds answers at Saint Paul School of Theology

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 17 Jul 1998 14:07:51

July 17, 1998	Contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{421}

A UMNS News Feature
By Linda Green*

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Kataya Marsakova had been searching for answers about
life in books and in the host of religions that were sweeping through
her native Russia.

When the answers came, however, they were in the form of a missionary
from Oklahoma City. It was an encounter that changed Marsakova's life.

Today, Marsakova, 24, is a second-year student at Saint Paul School of
Theology. She is enrolled in the three-year master of divinity degree
program at the United Methodist-related seminary. When she graduates,
she plans to return to Moscow to teach the Bible at the university
level.

A native of Ulyanovsk, Marsakova  never imagined herself in the United
States preparing for a career in ministry. She is one of two Russian
students at the theological school. Saint Paul is also involved with
other U.S. seminaries in helping develop a theological school in Moscow.

Marsakova's faith story began after her baptism at age 15 in the Russian
Orthodox Church.

"No one asked if I knew anything about Christ or whether I knew any
prayers," she said. "And I didn't."

In that faith tradition, she was taught to believe that God will take
care of a person if he or she just attends worship and knows nothing
else.

"I didn't know about God and Christ, but I felt a power inside of me
drawing me somewhere," she said.

"Although my faith was no bigger than fortune telling, it was a
conscious decision to be baptized." She said she wanted to be in the
same place in death as her best friend. "Later I realized that any
reason is good for God."

At the time, she said, many Russians were searching for God, but after
70 years of religious persecution, they did not know how to find him. As
soon as religious freedom was declared, she said, the country was
flooded with literature and all kinds of missionaries and gurus.

While visiting a children's camp, Marsakova heard about something
existing beyond the physical world, she said. "Hearing about a spiritual
world was an interesting concept for me, but I could not comprehend it."

She read books about religion and studied the works of mystics, but that
wasn't enough.

"It seemed that I knew everything about the universe, its structure, how
it was created and where it was headed," she said. "But something did
not seem right to me. All these theories talked about evolution and
perfection, but I was not changing. I was the same old me."

Marsakova and a friend devoured everything they could find about
religion. They examined philosophy, studied Russian Orthodox history,
and visited other cities to learn more about Russian Orthodoxy. They
even tried New Age beliefs, but Marsakova wasn't satisfied.

"I was looking for God," she said, "And God found me."

In 1993, a group from St. Luke United Methodist Church in Oklahoma City
and surrounding churches came to Russia on a mission trip bringing
medicine and other necessities.

"They didn't come to evangelize Russians," Marsakova said. "They came to
tell and share stories of their faith with us."

Relationships were formed, and the people were invited to visit St.
Luke. After the trip, Brian Kent, a United Methodist missionary with
Oklahoma City ties, returned to establish a church.

Marsakova was invited to sing during a session of the newly established
Bible study group, and she began attending the group's meetings.

 "It was while studying the Bible that I began to make sense of the
biblical stories that I'd heard," she said. "I received a Bible when I
was baptized, but what I read then did not make sense."

A few weeks later, Marsakova said she had the opportunity to witness an
annual conference session and meet Russian Methodists. "I saw lives
being changed at Ekatenburg United Methodist Church. I saw people
putting faith into practice,"  she said.

Marsakova was planning to become an English and German teacher. However,
seeing her diligence in studying the Bible and her work in establishing
a youth study group, Kent encouraged Marsakova to consider studying
religion at Oklahoma City University.

The university and St. Luke church created a scholarship for Russian
students to attend the college and study religion. Many of the college
hours that she'd gained toward a teaching degree in Russia were
transferred to Oklahoma City University, and she received a bachelor of
arts degree in religion in a year and a half.

"I looked forward to going home to complete my studies in Russian and
become a teacher of English and German," she said.

Before graduation in 1995, she was approached by the wife of the dean of
the school of religion and the wife of the president of the theological
school, who wanted to gauge her interest in obtaining a graduate degree
in religion.

Marsakova decided to pursue that degree, but first she returned to
Russia, spending a year there as a youth worker for the United Methodist
Church.

Upon her return to America, she received a scholarship to Saint Paul.
The financial aid didn't cover living expenses, but help came through a
pastor she'd met in Moscow, who headed the United Methodist Church of
the Resurrection in Oklahoma City.

"I received a trade. They would help me with living expenses, and I
would help them with the Russian language," she said.

The support she received from the people at St. Luke's, the Church of
the Resurrection and the university showed her what Christianity and
unconditional love was about, she said. "This made the biggest
difference in my life and showed me that this was the way."

"My journey is now at Saint Paul School of Theology," Marsakova said.
"It is a place where God prepares people for God's work." She's learning
about the kingdom of God and what it means to be in a community of
faith, she said.

"There was a time in my life when Jesus was just a teacher," she said.
Now, "I am on the way to knowing Jesus as a Savior."

# # #

*Green is news director of United Methodist News Service's Nashville,
Tenn., office.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at