From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodist churches, volunteers help flooded Tennessee

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 17 Jul 1998 17:35:21

county

July 17, 1998        Contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{424}

NOTE:  Photographs will be available with this story.

By Clay Hall*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- United Methodist churches in Lawrence County
have rallied around their flood-ravaged neighbors by serving more than
2,200 meals in three days.

Working with the American Red Cross, the churches fed breakfast and
lunch to firefighters, utility workers, National Guardsmen and others
July 15-17. The churches also fed 50 prisoners in the county jail.

"I don't know what we would have done without the United Methodists and
others," said Jackie Grinnell, Red Cross county chair. "When the chips
were down, all of our community churches came through for us."

^From noon Sunday, July 12, to 6 a.m. the following day, more than 14
inches of rain fell on the county. Shoal Creek overflowed, killing at
least two people. Three others are presumed dead.

The Lawrenceburg city water treatment plant was overwhelmed, and pumps
for the city's water supply were washed miles downstream. The city's
entire fleet of garbage trucks was also swept away.

Some water service was restored as of Thursday, July 16, but the public
was advised to boil water before any use.

The local health department closed every commercial food establishment
because there was no water for cleaning. A feeding center was
established at First United Methodist Church in Lawrenceburg, and a
portable kitchen was also brought in by the Tennessee Southern Baptist
Convention. The county's churches prepared coffee and served pastries
for breakfast, and provided lunches of sandwiches, chips, apples and
pudding.

More than 150 homes were badly damaged by the flooding, according to an
initial Red Cross assessment.

Mt. Zion United Methodist Church also sustained heavy damage from the
flood waters.

"The floor is buckled, and there is a lot of water damage throughout the
building," said the Rev. Tom Smith, superintendent of the Pulaski
District.

East End and Coleman Memorial United Methodist churches in Lawrenceburg
each suffered flooded basements.

The Rev. David Hawkins, pastor of First Church, and his wife, Carol,
rose before 5 a.m. each day to make coffee for the volunteers. He also
led efforts in preparing the food and securing volunteers from the
community.

"Our neighbors needed our help," the pastor said. "God put us in this
community to serve God's people."

The Rev. Marvin Champion, pastor of Coleman Memorial, helped coordinate
food acquisition and delivery. Volunteers from other churches also
participated in the recovery.

The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) and the Tennessee
Annual (regional) Conference are providing funds and coordinating relief
efforts. UMCOR has agreed to reimburse the conference for expenses such
as food and supplies.

On Friday, July 17, three United Methodist Volunteers In Mission teams
from outside the county began to help by cleaning homes, serving food
and handling other needs. The teams consisted of  15 people from nearby
counties.

# # #

*Hall is conference communicator for the United Methodist Church's
Tennessee Annual Conference

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at