From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Missouri Synod Convention Critiques Relations with ELCA

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 22 Jul 1998 16:04:46

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 22, 1998

MISSOURI SYNOD CONVENTION CRITIQUES RELATIONS WITH ELCA
98-26-151-FI

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA) -- The 60th Regular Convention of The Lutheran
Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) expressed its regret and disappointment with
ecumenical decisions the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) made
in 1997.  Convention delegates met here July 11-17 and dealt in various
ways with relations between the two churches.
     The LCMS includes 2.6 million Lutherans in 6,000 congregations across
the United States.  The ELCA is 5.2 million Lutherans in 11,000
congregations.
     The ELCA Churchwide Assembly in August 1997 approved a relationship
of "full communion" with three Reformed churches -- the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), Reformed Church in America and United Church of Christ.  That
assembly also declared that certain 16th century condemnations leveled
against the Roman Catholic Church regarding the doctrine of justification
no longer apply.
     The LCMS resolution of regret said the ELCA entered into those
agreements while noting that some doctrinal disagreements still exist
between the churches involved.  Doctrinal agreement is essential for
Missouri Synod relations with other churches.
     "In faithfulness to God's Word and the Lutheran Confessions, and
motivated by our love and concern for the people and pastors of the ELCA,
we express our deep regret and profound disagreement with these actions
taken by the ELCA," the LCMS convention said.
     Convention delegates encouraged Missouri Synod members to engage the
ELCA in theological discussions and supported LCMS President A.L. Barry and
ELCA Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson in their efforts to organize
dialogues between the two churches.
     ELCA Secretary Lowell G. Almen brought greetings from the ELCA to the
LCMS convention and referred to the ELCA's ecumenical decisions.  "These
steps have been seen by us as true to the spirit of Martin Luther," he
said.  "Luther urged the church of his own day to re-examine its teachings
in the light of the central message about Jesus Christ."
     Merging more than 20 Lutheran churches over the 20th century into the
ELCA has made it very important for members of the ELCA to listen to one
another, Almen said.  "We have welcomed other Christian bodies -- including
The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod -- to share in that conversation on the
continuing reformation of Christ's Church."
     The LCMS convention directed Barry to appoint a task force that will
evaluate arrangements between congregations of the Missouri Synod and the
ELCA forming Recognized Service Organizations (RSO) -- not-for-profit
service organizations such as camps, and elementary and secondary schools.
     The resolution indicated that "recent ecumenical directions of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America may jeopardize the doctrine and
practice of LCMS congregations participating in RSOs" because they often
involve instruction of the Christian faith, chapel services and theological
supervision.
     Delegates asked the task force to survey the governing documents of
such RSOs, "develop model constitution and bylaws clauses relating to RSO
status which are in concert with the doctrine and practice of the Synod for
use in both existing and future RSOs" and report to the Missouri Synod's
next convention in 2001.
     A "handful" of Lutheran congregations in the United States hold
membership in both the ELCA and LCMS.  The LCMS delegates voted to end,
within 18 months of the close of the convention, "dual membership" status.
     The convention directed LCMS district presidents to notify the
congregations "that this arrangement must be brought to an end."  Those
congregations that fail to meet the deadline "shall have forfeited their
membership in The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod."
     The LCMS convention alleviated a situation that brought a resolution
asking for the removal of Southern District President Orval Mueller.
Mueller had participated with an ELCA pastor in the wedding of his niece.
     "Participation in worship services with clergymen of church bodies
with whom we are not in altar and pulpit fellowship is a serious breach of
our synodical agreement to walk together, especially for a district
president who has promised to uphold and promote the decisions of the
Synod," said the proposed resolution.
     An apology from Mueller was published and distributed to the
convention.  "I sincerely regret that my participation in a wedding has
resulted in a disruption in the LCMS, and I give assurance that, with the
Lord's help, I will more carefully make future pastoral care decisions in
accordance with my church's expectations of me as a district president," he
wrote.
     "I ask the church's forgiveness for any improper actions of mine that
have contributed to this disturbance in the LCMS," said Mueller.
     The floor committee that brought the matter to the Missouri Synod
convention called Mueller's participation in the wedding "inappropriate,"
but asked the delegates to "accept this statement of apology from President
Mueller and announce to him our forgiveness."  The convention responded by
standing and singing a hymn of praise to God.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director 1-773-380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html