From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Text of Presidential Address, Lambeth 1998 [Part 2]

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 22 Jul 1998 19:03:24

ACNS LC024 - 20 July 1998

Presidential Address by the Archbishop of Canterbury to the 13th
Lambeth Conference

[...continued]

One of my hopes for this Conference is that through mutual
counsel, spiritual encouragement and the sharing of visions for
the advancement of Christ's kingdom, we will become more
effective channels for God's Spirit to work through. And that
means facing up to the challenge of renewal and transformation
for ourselves. Ours is to be a ministry of service, following the
pattern laid down by Our Lord in washing his disciples feet. Now
at times, we can be tempted by an office dignified by the
trappings of robes and ornate pageantry. Some have further
identified episcopacy with a lofty style of autocratic
leadership. But we must never avoid the real challenges of
episcopal leadership. For that challenge is to follow our Lord in
such simplicity of discipleship that our goodness, our holiness,
our humility is there for all to see.

I noticed that, in the regional response from the Province of
Central Africa, this statement of Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali is
quoted: 'We need to pray earnestly that humble men and women of
God will emerge as Christian leaders-leaders whose authority
derives from their humility and service; who persuade but do not
coerce; who free Christians to exercise the gifts which the Holy
Spirit has given them; who make the gospel attractive to the
millions who need to believe but are sceptical of the church's
structures'.

Together at this Conference let us seek a fresh vision of
Christ-centred leadership. For there is a true glory in such
leadership-and I have seen it again and again as I have travelled
the Anglican Communion. Humble, sacrificial, devoted service
continues. On behalf of the whole Anglican Communion I want to
say to you, my fellow Bishops: Thank you. Thank you for giving
yourselves so fully and completely to God. Thank you for the ways
in which you serve his people. Thank you for the evidence of
martyrism in your own country. May the example of those martyrs,
and the many others through the centuries who have given their
lives to, and for Christ, continue to inspire us.

So, my brothers and sisters, this theme of transformation whether
of our Vision, our Church, our Mission or our Vocation must be
central to all we shall be doing together here in this place. I
thank God for the gift of communion and especially for the Gift
of our Communion. With so many threatening divisions in our world
and the anger, hatred, distrust and cynicism which erodes real
community, let us enjoy our fellowship and life as a gift from
the gracious and generous God we worship. Let us treasure it and
put it to good use these precious three weeks.

Beyond all the excellent elements that will make up our
Conference and the Spouses' Programme; worship, bible study,
group work, seminars, section work, friendships, plenaries,
meetings and eating and drinking, there rests and remains the
ultimate victory that God is and in him is the triumph and the
victory. Sadly, the world, and even some parts of the Church,
have lost sight of that ultimate mobilising vision; that we, and
all things, are not the random pawns of a futile universe which
will come to an end either in a big bang or a whimper. Rather, we
need to remind ourselves constantly, that one day, as in Irenaus'
Vision, Christ will be all in all.

The Gospel is about new and certain life; about the power which
created the universe and raised Christ from the dead; about the
power which promises transformation of our world, our church and
all of us gathered here. This is the fundamental conviction on
which this Conference rests. That is the certainty in which we
shall do all our work in these next three weeks. That is the
glorious power in which we shall go back to our churches and in
the world in which we live. And may we look forward with
expectancy and declare with John that God does and will 'make all
things new'. May that vision transform and inspire us.

For further information, contact:

Lambeth Conference Communications
Canterbury Business School
University of Kent at Canterbury