From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Speakers Challenge Church to Lift up Human Rights Issues

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 23 Jul 1998 10:30:54

22-July-1998
98233

     Speakers Challenge Church to
    Lift up Human Rights Issues

    by Julian Shipp

LOS ANGELES-Gathering in what one program official described as a
"Presbyterian family tradition" (because there was a significant number of
repeat attendees), participants at the 1998 Presbyterian Peacemaking
Conference here July 15-19 were challenged to think about human rights in
new ways and empowered to deepen their appreciation of Christ's promise of
the fullness of life.

    Under the conference theme "Life in All Its Fullness: A Human Rights
Mandate," more than 650 conferees explored the meaning of human rights in
the Christian context and observed the 50th anniversary of the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights, adopted in 1948 by the United Nations General
Assembly.

    During plenaries, gilt-edged speakers, including the Rev. Katie G.
Cannon, conference preacher and the first African-American woman ordained
in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), challenged participants to uphold
their Christian calling. Cannon led the group in affirming that all human
beings are created in the image of God and claiming for all people Christ's
promise: "I have come that you might have life: life in all its fullness"
(John 10:10).

    "Who do we say that Jesus is in our lives?" Cannon asked. "If we cannot
answer that, then our Christian faith is like quicksand. We must remember
that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God."

    Mike Farrell of television's "M*A*S*H" fame, one of Hollywood's most
prominent social activists, was another theme presenter at the conference.
Farrell both inspired and chilled his audience as he recalled gripping
human rights atrocities, including torture, mass murder and capital
punishment, he's witnessed in the United States and abroad.

    Farrell spoke of a visit to a prison in El Salvador in 1983, where he
met with a man who had been tortured with acid by prison officials. He
cited a 1992 trip to Bosnia, where, he said, a doctor who had been interned
in a concentration camp by the Serbs witnessed a group of men tortured by
having a wire run through their collective tongues and pulled together.

    Farrell also talked about the carnage he saw following a massacre
inside a Rwandan church. The attack, staged by Hutu guerrillas, left
hundreds of Tutsis dead and dying and moved Farrell "beyond expression." He
also spoke of participating in the July 14 protest at San Quentin Prison
for death row inmate Thomas Thompson, who was executed by lethal injection
by the state of California.

    "We need to hear about it, know about it and understand [the atrocities
that occur in our world]," Farrell said. "Love is the greatest goal to
which we can aspire. It's up to us to find the courage to love and to make
safe the way for hope."

    Farrell said champions for human rights must be willing "to take the
flak, denounce demagoguery, stand up for what is higher and better, and
affirm that love is stronger than hate."

    The Rev. Douglas W. Oldenburg, moderator of the 210th General Assembly
(1998), spoke of this year's Assembly taking several significant actions
regarding Peacemaking, the most important being approval of the "Just
Peacemaking" paper. After generations of examining "just war" theory - what
moral and ethical criteria justify the waging of war - the church is called
to look at the moral and ethical criteria that must be applied in seeking
peace with justice.

     Oldenburg said the Assembly also reaffirmed the Universal Declaration
of Human Rights, called for the church to work with the U.S. government to
obtain peace in the Korean peninsula and urged the U.S. to continue to
support Israel, provided that nation continues to adhere to the provisions
of the Oslo agreement negotiated with Palestinians.

    "One of the reasons I love our Presbyterian Church is because we have
centered our mission around peacemaking and justice," Oldenburg said. "Our
diversity is great indeed, but we are a community of people who have common
commitments."

    Theme presenter Andaye De La Cruz, a member of the board of directors
of MADRE, an international women's human rights organization and a clinical
psychotherapist, said that while the international community has made
considerable progress in the area of women's human rights over the last
couple of decades, much work remains to be done.

    Citing somber statistics, De La Cruz said that in many countries, due
to war, poverty, violence, rape, sexual and physical abuse, and inadequate
health care, women have a life expectancy of approximately 50 years. She
said two-thirds of the world's illiterate population are women, more than
15 million women worldwide die each year from pregnancy complications and
20 million die during delivery.

    She said more than 50 million women worldwide have HIV, the virus that
causes AIDS, and nearly one-quarter of women in the U.S. are battered each
year by their spouses. De La Cruz also said that in every armed conflict
women and girls inevitably are raped, and the majority of these cases are
never reported, so those responsible for the crime remain unpunished.

    "All women's issues are human rights issues," De La Cruz said. "We are
all responsible for women's rights. Where women thrive, communities and
nations thrive." She called on the Presbyterian Church to help make 1998 a
"year of increased political activism to ensure that women, men and
children have a chance to speak and be heard everywhere."

    Television/movie actor and social and political activist Ed Asner of
"Lou Grant" fame, a conference theme presenter, said Hollywood has taken "a
lot of flak" for its propensity toward violence on TV and in films over the
years and added that much of it is "well deserved."

    However, he said, there are also many talented actors and producers in
Hollywood who are devoted to creating what he described as "good
entertainment" without violence. Asner said the average American adult
spends four hours a day watching television and 1.6 hours a day watching
pre-recorded movies and programs. He said 69 percent of the average
American's waking hours are spent reading, watching or listening to media.

    Asner said that while be believes Hollywood has an obligation to
provide quality entertainment, parents must take personal responsibility to
supervise or curtail the viewing habits of their children. He urged viewers
to "vote with your remote and with your dollar at the box office," since
both the television and movie industries are driven by customer demand and
response.

    The Rev. Virstan Choy, director of field education and internship at
San Francisco Theological Seminary and a consultant for the PC(USA)'s
Racial Violence and Racism Initiative Team, helped his audience equate the
struggle against racism with the struggle for human rights, stating, "We
can't get stuck in a civil-rights-only mentality." He entreated the church
to "move on to treat racism not as an institutional or prejudicial problem,
but one that arises because laws have not been enforced, laws have not been
repealed."

    Choy said congregations or communities working toward human rights
goals should involve and educate themselves and associate with others
involved in human rights issues as they conduct their work. He said many
Presbyterian churches are not situated in ideal vantage points from which
to witness human suffering frequently, so they must not be afraid to leave
their communities and churches in order to respond to poverty,
homelessness, violence and other detrimental social forces.

    "The hardest person to wake up is the one who pretends to be asleep,"
Choy said.   "Working toward human rights means moving past
inconveniences." Choy said that if God's people are diligent and steadfast
in working to alleviate human suffering and injustice, then "God will
reward our shamelessness."

    Through participation in worship, plenary sessions, workshops, small
groups, briefings, special events and fellowship, participants also learned
how to equip themselves to address human rights issues in their
communities. Special "back home groups" during the conference gave
attendees the opportunity to come together in local or regional groups to
make plans for their work at home.

    Small groups were places for sharing and reflection. Participants
gathered at tables to share their stories, past and present, and to begin
to envision the future of the church as it works toward a broader
understanding of human rights.

    Toward the close of the event, a special conference offering was
collected. As with the Peacemaking Offering, 25 percent will go to a
peacemaking ministry carried out by a congregation and 25 percent will go
to a presbytery peacemaking ministry. The other 50 percent of the offering
goes to the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program and will help provide
scholarships for next year's Peacemaking Conference.