From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tennessee church reverses decision to withhold money

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 24 Jul 1998 14:13:13

July 24, 1998        Contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{438}

By Clay Hall*

A United Methodist congregation in Savannah, Tenn., has reversed its
decision to withhold an estimated $17,000 from denominational mission
funding.

The administrative council of East End United Methodist Church had voted
on June 21 to withhold the money as an expression of displeasure over
the denomination's stand on homosexuality. The council reversed that
decision on July 19 and voted to pay the church's remaining 1998
apportionments, which are funds that support denominational programs and
administration.

The initial decision to withhold the apportionments followed the
Tennessee Annual (regional) Conference's business session in June, when
the conference affirmed the denomination's stand on the issue of
homosexuality. That position states that the practice of homosexuality
is incompatible with Christian teaching. Leaders of the 455-member
Savannah church said the denomination's stand wasn't strong enough.

"I am pleased to hear that East End United Methodist Church in Savannah
has reversed its
decision to withhold apportionments," said Nashville Area Bishop Kenneth
L. Carder.

"We need doctrinal and theological renewal as well as accountability at
all levels," Carder said. "The manner in which we seek to bring about
this renewal and accountability must be consistent with our United
Methodist doctrine and Discipline, which are grounded in the Gospel."

The church reversed its decision after consulting with Rev. Tom Smith,
superintendent of the conference's Pulaski District.

"When they came to better understand the actual action of the annual
conference, they saw the situation from a different  perspective," Smith
said. "The congregation has a deep sense of commitment and desire for
unity within the church and the denomination."

Smith said the congregation discussed how people in the denomination
have connected with each other in response to the flooding in nearby
Lawrence County. "We talked about how we are able to serve God by
working together. They want to serve God effectively in their community
with their new minister."

The Rev. John Pennington, pastor of East End, is new to the
congregation. The church's decision not to pay the last half of this
year's apportionments was made several days before he assumed his duties
there.

"We had several meetings in which the topic of the first decision came
up," he said. "We have a good group of people who care about each other
and the Lord. We want to be supportive of the church, and we want to be
supportive of each other."

Congregation lay leader Larry Byrd did not want to discuss the process
that brought about the change.

"At this time, I would rather not talk about the process of making the
decision; it was a 'family matter,' " Byrd said. "I will say that I
believe the church has grown and is stronger after facing this
challenge."

David Long, chairman of the church council and a supporter of the
original decision, also was reluctant to discuss the situation. "I do
not feel that it would be appropriate to comment on this matter at the
present time," Long said.

Carder said it is important that the issues facing the denomination be
discussed and that the church be held accountable.

"Provisions for achieving accountability are already present in our
structure without jeopardizing the ministry of  Jesus Christ throughout
the world by withholding funding," he said.

# # #

*Hall is communications director of the United Methodist Church's
Tennessee Annual (regional) Conference.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at