From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Department of History Establishes Endowment

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 27 Jul 1998 20:32:13

27-July-1998
98227

    Department of History Establishes Endowment,
    Hires Development Officer

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The Presbyterian Church's Department of History has
established a full-time development office to build an endowment to fund
its staff and programs in Philadelphia and Montreat, N.C.

    The Department of History - and its affiliated Presbyterian Historical
Society - is an agency of the Office of the General Assembly.  At its two
sites, the department houses vast archives, research facilities and display
space for numerous historical artifacts related to Presbyterian history.
It also publishes "The Journal of Presbyterian History."

    "The Department of History has been moving slowly but surely toward
this goal [of a full-time development office] for the past five years,"
said Frederick J. Heuser, associate stated clerk of the General Assembly
and director of the Department of History.  "We recognized in the early
1990s that it would be necessary for us to assume a significantly larger
share of the financial responsibility for our support."  The Department of
History is funded by the per capita budget of the General Assembly.

    In early June, Heuser announced the appointment of the Rev. Nancy E.
Muth as vice president for institutional development for the department.
Muth, a graduate of Princeton and McCormick Theological Seminaries, has
been a campaign consultant with Church Financial Campaign Services since
1990.  She began her new work June 15.

    The goal of the development effort is a $30-35 million endowment.
Working closely with the Presbyterian Foundation, the department has
established an initial endowment of more than $1 million.

    "We feel tremendously blessed and are encouraged by the level of
support we have received thus far," Heuser said.  "Presbyterians do care
deeply about their heritage.  We feel confident they will continue to
support our ministry in the next century as they have since our
establishment in 1852."