From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Cantuar's address tells of Communion 'anchored in real life'

From "Christopher Took" <storm@indigo.ie>
Date 28 Jul 1998 00:05:31

ACNS LC055 - 27 July 1998

Cantuar's address to spouses tells of
a Communion 'anchored in real life'

by Sally Hastings
Bishops' Spouses Communication

The use of violence to enforce religious beliefs was denounced by
Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey in an address to the
Spouses' Programme at the Lambeth Conference, Monday, July 27.

Giving a keynote presentation, "Together in God's Mission: The
Vocation of the Anglican Communion in the 21st Century,"
Archbishop Carey said, "We are often told 'religion is a cause of
the problems. Just look at what is going on in the world today
between religious groups, whether in Northern Ireland, the Sudan,
or the Middle East.' But I reply, you will not find true
believers killing people or blowing up houses or injuring
others."

The Gospel is about peace, he continued. "Anglicans have made a
fine contribution to making peace and building bridges between
communities." He added that the Anglican Church is a rich,
international world church on its way to becoming "a Communion."

"But we shall only become a real 'Communion' when we learn the
lessons of sharing the suffering, the pain, and the distress of
one another; the poverty and the denial of justice; along with
the sharing of our riches and resources."

After visiting the Sudan, Archbishop Carey returned home burdened
by what he had seen but frustrated that there was so little he
could offer immediately. He called for the setting up of a crisis
fund. "I began an appeal and raised £400,000 within a few weeks
and sent money to the Church. But I should not have had to do
that, even though I was glad to do so. If we really are a
Communion, we should have structures to assist one another," he
said.

He spoke of his initiative, the Anglican Investment Agency, which
he described as a simple but imaginative way the Communion can
use the huge funds of the developed churches to help the
developing churches.

He also referred to the "scandal" that so few provinces of the
Anglican Communion pay their full contribution to the Anglican
Consultative Council's (ACC) budget.

"Should we not return home from this conference to our provinces
and say that our dues to the ACC budget must be paid because we
weaken the Communion by our reluctance to give?" he asked.

The presentation included Peter William's video footage of
Archbishop Carey in Mozambique and spot photos by Jim Rosenthal
of Anglican World magazine.

Focusing on the vocation of the Anglican Communion in the 21st
century, Archbishop Carey said that the church was already
learning that it must welcome people, care for them, ensure that
they feel at home in worship, and relate the Anglican faith to
the needs of people outside. Growing churches are welcoming, with
lively worship, Archbishop Carey noted. "Services can be a lot
brighter and more interesting than they often are. They need to
be culturally relevant to the people we minister to," he said.

Archbishop Carey also encouraged Anglicans, particularly those in
the West, to be less apologetic about being spiritual.

"The world wants us to speak of God, to speak of our faith, our
love of God, and the meaning of life and death," he said.

Posing the question, "What is distinctive about the Anglican
Communion?", Archbishop Carey said, "We have never claimed that
we are the final form of Christianity or that we are a perfect
Communion. What we have claimed is that we are both 'catholic'
and 'reformed.' Anglicans are also 'earthed' and 'anchored in
real life.'"

He argued that Anglicans have never been comfortable just
preaching the Gospel, but have always endeavoured to live it and
put it to work. As examples, he listed the five particular forms
of ministry in which the Church has been active:

* healing,  including setting up hospitals and clinics;

* education, schools, colleges, training and teaching programmes
world-wide;

* empowerment and helping people to help themselves through
development work;

* conflict resolution and protesting against all that dehumanises
people or strips them of their human rights; and

* compassion for the weak.

 "'By their fruits you will know them,' said our Lord to all who
follow him. We are there among the poorest of the world and we
are glad to be," Carey said.

Carey also paid tribute to the role of women, noting that "women
are the natural 'priests' of the home; they are at the epicentre
of family life; indeed, the family swivels around the mother." He
added, "But women can also be natural evangelists and the
transformers of society with their gifts of relationships and
their connections in the community. I want to encourage these
gifts for the sake of the kingdom."

A video featuring work by women in India, produced by Colleen
Samuels, brought to life the Archbishop's praise for women's
ministry. He added his thanks "for the support you give your
bishop partners; thank you for the sacrifices you have made, and
for the way you support and help us."

For further information, contact:

   Lambeth Conference Communications
   Canterbury Business School