From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishop Spong apologizes for perceived insult to Africans

From "Christopher Took" <storm@indigo.ie>
Date 28 Jul 1998 00:33:05

ACNS LC057 - 28 July 1998

Bishop Spong apologizes for perceived insult to Africans

EMBARGOED UNTIL 10am GMT+1 TUESDAY 28TH JULY

By David Skidmore
Lambeth Conference Communications

An escalating rift between conservative African bishops and
Bishop John Spong of the Diocese of Newark (USA) appears headed
for a truce. In an interview Saturday, Bishop Spong expressed
regret for his earlier statements characterizing African views on
the Bible as "superstitious."

Bishop Spong came under fire early in the conference because of
his strong support for the full acceptance of gays and lesbians
in the church, and his criticism of African bishops'
understanding of Scripture, which he saw as out of touch with
modern scholarship and scientific theory.

Bishop Spong has been in the crosshairs of conservatives since
last November when he engaged in a caustic exchange of letters
with the Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey over
homosexuality. In May, he published his latest book, Why
Christianity Must Change or Die, which questions the validity of
a physical resurrection and other central principles of the
creeds.

As bishop in a metropolitan community near New York City, his
concern is to reach an unchurched, "post-modern" community that
is deeply skeptical of traditional church practices and symbols,
he said. In the process of communicating with those members, he
said, he seems to have unintentionally alienated his African
colleagues.

"I don't know what to do about that," he confessed. "Religion is
a deeply emotional thing. It gets into the very fibre of our
soul. It is part of our security system."

His criticism of attitudes in the developing world, said Bishop
Spong, was not intended to denigrate the personal faith
commitments of the bishops nor of their churches. His point was
that cultural differences between the church in the developed and
developing worlds require the Gospel to be communicated using
different language and symbols.

"In the process of saying that, I've been heard to insult
Africans, for which I am really sorry. That is certainly not my
intention," said Bishop Spong. In using the word "superstitious"
to refer to African views on theological issues, he was
misunderstood to be labeling Africans as superstitious. That is
not the case, he said.

"That was an unfortunate word and I think it communicated an
unfortunate message," he said.

Bishop Spong said he had paid two visits to Africa and was
impressed with the vitality of the churches' witness and
ministry, particularly given the economic hardships and human
rights violations they must deal with.

Though the section group dealing with sexuality is presently at a
stand-off on how to constructively address the issue, Bishop
Spong expressed hope that the section would consider the process
proposed in the paper he coauthored with Bishop Peter John Lee of
South Africa. Written at the request of the Archbishop of
Canterbury, A Catechesis on Homosexuality recommends that the
conference undertake a study of the three issues on which there
is deep division: the blessing of same sex couples, the
ordination of gays and lesbians, and the authority of the Bible.

"I would be delighted if we could at least say that we think gay
people ought to be treated with justice before the law; that we
think marriage is an institution worthy of our full support; and
that we think predatory and promiscuous sexuality dehumanizes the
victim," said Bishop Spong.

For further information, contact:

   Lambeth Conference Communications
   Canterbury Business School