From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

1998 Presbyterian Youth Triennium Is Largest Ever

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 30 Jul 1998 22:02:05

29-July-1998
98254

    1998 Presbyterian Youth Triennium Is Largest Ever

    by Julian Shipp

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.- More than 6,000 youth and young adults attended the
1998 Presbyterian Youth Triennium at Purdue University here July 21-26 -
the largest number to date, according to event organizers.

    The Triennium was co-sponsored by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the
Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
However, more than 5,800 of the estimated 6,661 participants belonged to
the PC(USA), according to Rodger Nishioka, coordinator for youth and young
adult ministries in the Congregational Ministries Division.

    "We estimate that we could have registered at least 2,000 more young
people," Nishioka said. "But our registration is set by the number of seats
in Purdue's [Elliott Hall of Music]."

    Even so, little could have contained the excitement and enthusiasm
exhibited by participants before and during worship. On July 24, for
instance, thousands warmed themselves up to the hip-hop beat and ethereal,
electronic harmony of "Gangstah's Paradise" by  rap sensation Coolio and
the melodiously whimsical  "Tell Me More" from the "Grease" motion picture
soundtrack.

    Under the direction of choir/band director Kevin T. Harris of Kansas
City, Mo., recreation leaders Deb Guess of Summerville, S.C., and Keith
Harris of Kansas City, Mo., kept the crowd hyped  through witty skits and
songs designed to introduce the theme of the conference: "Shine for Your
Light Has Come."

    "The crowd at the music hall looked like it was suited more for a rock
concert than a worship service," observed Jennifer Martin of St. John's,
Newfoundland. "Six thousand people make for a wonderfully huge
congregation, and one could feel the indestructible spirit of so many youth
in one room. Worship was filled with song, prayer and dance - a celebration
of the light of the Lord."

    "It's really exciting and I'm glad to see there's more and more
interest in Triennium and I like to see the kids come out and do a lot of
things that are really good," said the Rev. Byron Wade, pastor of Davie
Street Presbyterian Church in Raleigh, N.C., and a former Presbyterian
Youth Triennium Design Team member.

    The youth express themselves for mission

    On July 23, participants were given an afternoon of exploration during
"Express Yourself," a time for young people to try something new such as
folk dancing, creative writing and making global crafts or origami.

    However, about 100 youngsters opted to help the local Habitat for
Humanity effort in Lafayette, Ind., by spending their afternoon pounding
away with hammers and sawing prefabricated wood to construct work sheds for
Habitat homes. Under the supervision of adults, five work sheds were built
by the end of the evening

    "It's been a good experience for the kids," said Stephen Melton of
Bedford, Pa.., a Presbyterian Youth Triennium Planning Team and Habitat for
Humanity Committee member. "They got to see how to build a house. Several
of the youth and adults have worked on Habitat homes before, but others
just wanted to help."

    Many more Triennium gatherers contributed to a mission effort of
another type. The Lafayette Urban Ministry (LUM) received an enormous
donation to its emergency homeless shelter and food pantry through the
Triennium's Cereal and Socks Program. Each person registered for the
Triennium was asked to bring a pair of socks and a box of cereal to the
event.

    According to Deanna Pilkenton, LUM shelter director, more than 4,100
guests at the homeless shelter will eat a hearty breakfast during the next
four to five months. Also, each guest throughout the remainder of the year
will receive new socks. The homeless tend to have chronic problems with
their feet due to the severe conditions of the street and good socks can
often prevent these problems. Pilkenton said the Triennium gift was so
immense LUM shared a truckload of donated items with its neighboring
Salvation Army shelter for families.

    Global partners tell their stories

    For 140 teenagers from other countries also present at the Triennium,
the event was an ideal place to tell their stories. Among them was Debora
Tri Ragawanti of Indonesia, a predominantly Muslim country where Christians
are a persecuted minority.

    According to Ragawanti, there are fewer than 300 Christian
congregations in the entire country of Indonesia. Churches are sometimes
destroyed and pastors killed, but rather than seek revenge, Indonesian
Christians seek action - action through prayers and through rebuilding
their ruined places of worship. Occasionally, she said, when those
responsible for the destruction see how the Christians refuse to respond to
hatred with hatred, they are amazed. Some, wondering what sort of people
these Christians are, even show up at the new churches wanting to learn
more about Jesus.

    "We may have different cultures, but love is universal," Ragawanti
said. "We are different, but we can also be in unity as brothers and
sisters in God."

    Another young person who shared his experience during the Triennium was
Muleba Kasonga from the Democratic Republic of Congo in Central Africa.
Kasonga said a recent occurrence in the Congo cemented his faith. Psalm
91:7 says, "A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your  right
hand, but it will not come near you," and Kasonga said he lived this verse
out on Jan. 21, 1991.

    President Mobutu Sese Seko, the ex-dictator of Congo, had not paid his
soldiers for six months. They became angry and vented their frustrations by
breaking into an armory and stealing all of the weapons and ammunition.
They then went out and raped and killed people and looted stores. Kasonga's
family fell victim to the soldiers, who stormed into his home and took
everything.

    "When my family and I left our ruined home and walked out into the
street, we could see bullets flying everywhere," he said. "The gunshots
were literally falling around us, but no one in my family was hurt. The
Lord protected us. That night, we had to stay in the military camp, as
there was nowhere else to go. This was the same camp that housed the people
who had destroyed our home, but even so, no one came near us or touched us
or harmed us in any way."

    The next day, Kasonga said, his family found another house to live in
while theirs was being rebuilt. He lived there six months and was very
happy. Kasonga said he and his family had cause to celebrate because they
were alive, their faith was made stronger and they learned firsthand that
God is "the Great Protector."

    "Even though we had no money and very few clothes, we did have food and
were clothed and provided for," Kasonga said. "God loves us! God really
loves us! And I love Jesus."

    Billed as the world's largest gathering of Presbyterian and Reformed
youth, the very first Triennium was held in 1980 at Indiana University in
Bloomington. All subsequent events have been held at Purdue.

(Information for this story was also compiled by Adele Halliday and Laura
Alary).