From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church planning and plan to end racism highlight board work

From "Wilma Shuffitt"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 03 Aug 1998 10:39:19

Date: August 3, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98b-46

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- The General Board of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ), meeting  July 25-28, engaged in a new process
of churchwide planning and endorsed a series of training events aimed
at eliminating racism in church structures.

	In a series of exercises over nearly two days, the board identified
six "vital issues" to be addressed by the church as it works to be
faithful to the key tenet of the Mission Imperatives 1996-2000: "We
believe God calls us to strengthen congregational life for this
mission."

	The vital issues are: evangelism and witness; spiritual vitality and
faith development; leadership development; congregational
hospitality, diversity and inclusiveness; justice, reconciliation,
service and public advocacy; and strong worship life.

	Moderator Michael Mooty, Lexington, Ky., urged the board to maintain
responsibility for the planning process. "We've invested a lot of
time, energy and thought in coming to this point," he said. "It will
remain our responsibility that these issues be met and dealt with in
the lives of our congregations."

	Mooty and General Minister and President Richard L. Hamm later named
a 12-member "mission council" to carry the planning process forward.
The council will appoint "vital issue teams" and explore the
formation of "covenantal partnerships" to propose and implement
specific programs and ministries related to the issues.

	The anti-racism training approved by the board was recommended by
the discernment steering committee on racism. It anticipates that in
six to eight years all expressions of the church will have trained
anti-racism teams.  Six to eight teams initially will receive the
special training, to begin this fall.

	This is a change from the original discernment plan first to focus
on racism in North America. "The steering committee decided that
before the church could deal with racism in North America, we needed
to deal with it inside the church," said the Rev. Lori Adams. She is
minister of transformation in the Office of the General Minister and
President.

	The discernment process wasn't aimed at determining "whether racism
is wrong or not," said Hamm. "We know it's wrong. We're trying to
discern how it operates in our day-to-day lives" and to move to
eliminate it, the GMP said.

	The GMP called the proposal "different than anything we've ever done
as a church," recommending it for every Disciples member and
minister.

	Crossroads Ministries, a faith-based consulting firm, will lead the
introductory workshops. Crossroads currently is working with eight
other U.S. denominations to address racism in their structures,
according to Adams.

	The board also appointed a steering committee to guide the church's
third official process of discernment. This body will address the
participation of gay and lesbian persons in the life of the church.

	In addition, the board proposed a new commission to carry on from
what had been a "process of discernment" on the nature of Biblical
authority.  Referring the issue to the new panel essentially will
close it as a discernment item. In this case, the discernment process
is "not the most helpful model to address this issue," Hamm said.

	The proposed "Commission on Faith and Understanding"  would be
available to help research and report Biblical perspectives on
difficult issues under discussion within the church. It would stand
as a ready resource to consider issues and offer responses in a
subsequent General Board meeting or General Assembly.

	In other action, the board approved a reelection process for the
general minister and president.  Current GMP, the Rev. Richard L.
Hamm is eligible for another six-year term. If his reelection is
approved by two-thirds of the Administrative Committee and two-thirds
of the General Board in 1999, the General Assembly will make the
decisive reelection vote in October.

	During the meeting board members were thanked for Week of
Compassion's support of a special camp for children affected by a
March 24 school shooting in Jonesboro, Ark.

	Contributions from the Disciples relief and development ministry
underwrote 10 percent of the camp budget. WOC also arranged
transportation for the 69 student participants, four of whom were
wounded during the tragedy.

	The Rev. David Gill, director, called the effort at Ferncliff Camp
and Conference Center near Little Rock, "a special ministry that
would not exist without your love and caring."

	The July 26-31 camp offered music therapy, story telling and other
sessions "that are part of a hope-filled and healing curriculum,"
according to Gill. "What a wonderful witness to bringing ultimate
triumph out of tragedy!"

	The General Board's offering of $3,383 was designated to the Domingo
Rodriguez Scholarship Fund for Hispanic seminary students. The fund
is administered by the Central Pastoral Office for Hispanic
Ministries.

	-- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm