From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gay Christians Respond To Lambeth "Resolution on Sexuality"

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date 06 Aug 1998 13:13:51

STATEMENT BY THE ELDER REV. TROY D. PERRY
Moderator of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches
http://www.ufmcc.com

Thursday, August 6, 1998

I am today deeply saddened by the Lambeth Conference "Resolution on
Sexuality."

The resolution, adopted by a vote of 526-70, may be considered a victory for
many of the  conservative bishops of the Anglican Communion, especially those
in Africa and Asia, but it represents continued pain and rejection for the
millions of gay and lesbian Anglicans.

For too long, organized religion has attempted to erect barriers between God
and gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons. This is no longer
acceptable.

The action by the Lambeth Conference delegates is yet another sobering
reminder that there is much unfinished work to be done to bring about
spiritual justice for all God's people. The Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches will not cease in its calling to raise a bold,
prophetic voice for an inclusive Christian spirituality.

As we stand at the dawn of a new millennium, I continue to pray and work for
the day when all people of faith recognize the giftedness and inherent dignity
of our gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered brothers and sisters.

To the millions of gay and lesbian people of faith who seek a spiritual home
within the Anglican Communion, I send the love, prayers and support of the
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches.

I further call upon all people of goodwill to join me in surrounding the
Bishops of the Anglican Communion with prayers that they may embrace justice
and inclusivity for all of God's diverse family, and in praying for God's
peace and blessing upon our gay and lesbian Anglican brothers and sisters.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department