From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

American Asian Disciples told: ‘Speak truth to power'

From "Cliff Willis"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 06 Aug 1998 14:22:41

Date: August 6, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98b-48

by W. Evan Golder
Editor, United Church News

	OAKLAND, Calif. (DNS) -- "Speak truth to power." In such a time as
this, that's what Christians and the church need to do, according to
the Rev. Wallace Ryan Kuriowa, executive director of the United
Church of Christ's Office for Church in Society, Cleveland, Ohio.

	Ryan Kuriowa's observation came in his keynote address to the tenth
biennial convocation of NAPAD (North American Pacific/Asian
Disciples), July 30-Aug. 1, here at Mills College. Currently NAPAD
numbers 43 Disciples congregations as well as five missions and three
new church starts.

	Basing his speech on the convocation theme, "For Such a Time as
This," Ryan Kuriowa said, "God has placed us here in this time, for
such a time as this.  We need to work for fairer, more just
immigration laws. We need to work against hate crimes perpetrated
against people of color. And we need to create a more hospitable
presence for other Asians and Pacific Islanders as they come to a
strange and new land."

	More than 125 people from 15 different states attended the
convocation, which also featured worship, workshops and a banquet at
Oakland's First Korean Christian Church, the host congregation.

	Ryan Kuriowa noted that although speaking the truth to power can
seem "pretty intimidating," opportunities abound for the church to do
it, "whether in the halls of Congress, or to the poultry industry in
solidarity with chicken-processing plant workers, or to the prison
industrial complex and the states with regard to capital punishment
and the mistreatment of prisoners."

	His keynote address and subsequent Bible study sessions were based
on the book of Esther. This book has many characters we should pay
attention to, he said, including Esther herself. She risked death by
speaking the truth to the king, and the king's first wife, Vashti,
who defied the king's order to parade herself before his drunken
companions.
	"How dare any of us say ‘no' to the principalities and the powers?"
Ryan Kuriowa asked the participants. "Vashti serves us as a model of
the faithful church. God calls us to speak that powerful two-letter
‘no' word to those who expect us to roll over and silently accept the
unjust thing, just because the powerful have demanded we do so."

	Ryan Kuriowa named Asian-American examples of those who refused to
board the internment trains during World War II with a "no": Gordon
Hirabayashi, the Quaker pacifist, who said "no" out of his religious
conviction; and Minoru Yasui, Mitsuye Endo and Fred Korematsu.

	"It was because of their actions," he said, "that the sad story of
the internment was remembered in the 1980s and eventually led to an
official apology and redress. Because persons of conscience have said
no, healing has begun for that injustice."

	Noting that many in the room have benefitted from the sacrifice and
hard work of those who have gone before, he called on them to do two
things: to keep those stories alive by telling them over and over
again; and to speak out on their own against the injustices of our
day.

	"Esther asked the community of faith to fast and pray," he
concluded. "That may be what God has called you to do. But recognize
that whether we are Vashti, or whether we are Esther, or whether we
are in that company of prayer, God means for us to be in the midst of
the struggle for justice and hope."

	-- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm