From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOSPEL SINGER DONATES TO NCCCUSA

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 07 Aug 1998 11:42:00

Gospel Singer Contributes to NCCCUSA
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

76NCC8/7/98   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GOSPEL SINGER CONTRIBUTES $250,000 TO NATIONAL
COUNCIL OF CHURCHES BURNED CHURCHES FUND

 NEW YORK, August 7 ---- Gospel superstar Kirk
Franklin, Gospo Centric and Interscope Records have
announced that they will contribute a total of
$250,000 to the National Council of Churches (NCC's)
Burned Churches Fund in anticipation of the profits
from Franklin's The Nu Nation Project album, set for
release September 22, 1998.
 "We are grateful that Kirk Franklin and his
record company are focusing attention on the
continuing burning of churches and synagogues," said
the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, NCC General
Secretary.  "As a gospel artist, his gift is
especially fitting since many of the churches that
have been burned are precisely the ones whose
tradition gave birth to gospel music."
 "By the end of 1998, the NCC will have assisted
in the restoration of 156 burned churches," Dr.
Campbell reported.  "However, sadly, we know of at
least 20 churches at the present moment trying to
figure out how to rebuild.  Yet because church
burnings are no longer in the national spotlight, it
has been more difficult to raise money.  We want to
assist as many burned churches as new contributions
will allow, so this kind offer comes at a most
opportune moment."
 "I was raised in the church," Mr. Franklin
said.  "It is important that we support the churches
and synagogues that have been burned or defaced.  I
couldn't help but help. Those churches are part of
me."
 Highlighting the new album is a song, "Lean On
Me," written and produced by Franklin, which
features him performing with U2's Bono, R. Kelly,
Mary J. Blige, Crystal Lewis and his group, The
Family.
 "This song will get the message of the Gospel
to those people who have been turned off by this
type of message in the past," Mr. Franklin said.
As an artist, musical mentor and producer,
Franklin has achieved enormous success.  His self-
titled 1997 album from God's Property is the biggest
selling gospel album in history and all his albums
have been critical and commercial hits.
"We're reaching people with our message and at
the same time Kirk and his fans are helping to
restore houses of worship when they buy the album,"
commented Vicki Mack Lataillade, President of Gospo
Centric.  "It's all about putting our message into
action and doing the right thing."
-more-
76NCC8/7/98
GOSPEL SINGER/Page 2

 "There is no question that the spoken word, the
minister's word, doesn't play the role with young
people that artists do, especially musicians," Dr.
Campbell said.  "Young people trust a man like Kirk.
They trust his message.  So for someone like Kirk to
say, `I'll give my resources to rebuild churches and
communities,' that is a message of wholeness and
hope.  It also says that when we see a wrong, we
have to do what we can to right it."
 The NCC brought the epidemic of hate-motivated
church burnings to nationwide attention in June 1996
when it brought pastors from 38 burned churches to
Washington, D.C. where they met with President
Clinton and the Secretaries of the Treasury and
Justice Departments.
  In May 1996, the NCC initiated the Burned
Churches Fund, which included Jewish, Muslim and
Roman Catholic partners.
 Since 1996, the NCC has raised over $9 million
in cash and $2.4 in material gifts to restore burned
churches and has awarded nearly $7 million in cash
grants for reconstruction.  The NCC has coordinated
volunteer labor for more than 70 churches and has
facilitated the use of material gifts including
lumber, modular units and musical organs.
$1.25 million has gone toward racial justice
and reconciliation work, including support for
specific initiatives throughout the country.  For
example, the NCC has provided funding for a Kentucky
Council of Churches program to monitor hate groups
in that state and to work with local ministerial
associations on community education and dialogue,
has supported a national effort by the Center for
Constitutional Rights to monitor cases of police
brutality in communities of color and has produced
two one-hour documentaries through the Interfaith
Broadcasting Commission that look at race in
religion and in media.  Those documentaries will air
on NBC and ABC in the fall.

-end-
 -0-