From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lambeth Conference responds to bombings in Africa

From "Lambeth98" <storm@indigo.ie>
Date 08 Aug 1998 03:20:48

ACNS LC106 - 7 August 1998

Lambeth Conference responds to bombings in Africa

By David Skidmore
Lambeth Conference Communications

Archbishop George Carey opened the afternoon plenary session of
the Lambeth Conference with sobering news of the bombing of the
United States embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam,
Tanzania, this morning that killed more than 80 people and
injured more than 1,000 others.

Although at the time of the plenary, the persons responsible for
the attacks had not yet been apprehended, Archbishop Carey said
he was sure the conference would want to "condemn them
unreservedly," as well as offer its prayers and condolences to
the victims and their families. He said he would be sending
messages of sympathy on behalf of the conference to the U.S.,
Kenyan, and Tanzanian governments.

"We are deeply shocked to hear what happened this morning," said
Archbishop David Gitari, Primate of Kenya, who followed
Archbishop Carey.  "To hear of bombs exploding in places which
are familiar to us is very shocking indeed."

Archbishop Gitari said he and his fellow Kenyan bishops were
worried that friends and associates were among the dead. But, he
added, it ultimately does not matter how many were Kenyans,
Tanzanians or Americans. Killing of this sort is "a terrible
sin."

Violence is not the way to resolve political differences, he
said. "We believe that we are created in the image of God and the
destruction of innocent people is not the right way."

Bishop Frank Griswold, Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church
in the United States, echoed the concerns of Archbishop Carey and
Archbishop Gitari, offering his prayers and "deepest sympathies
to the families of the victims of this unspeakable tragedy."

The bishops prayed and observed a moment of silence for the
victims.

For further information, contact:

   Lambeth Conference Communications
   Canterbury Business School