From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lambeth Conference criticizes Pakistan's blasphemy laws

From "Lambeth98" <storm@indigo.ie>
Date 09 Aug 1998 02:15:07

ACNS LC107 - 8 August 1998

Lambeth Conference criticizes Pakistan's blasphemy laws

by Nan Cobbey
Lambeth Conference Communications

The world's Anglican bishops Friday (August 7) condemned
Pakistan's blasphemy law and called for release of  "all
prisoners unjustly accused" under it.

In a unanimous vote, and following a debate led by Anglican
bishops from the Pakistan region, the Lambeth conference labeled
the blasphemy law "the source of victimization of the minorities
in Pakistan," especially Christians. The bishops called for the
restoration of all rights originally granted under the country's
1973 Constitution.

"The Blasphemy Law hangs over our head like the sword of
Damocles," said Bishop Azad Marshall of the Diocese of the
Arabian Gulf (Pakistan). "[It] has paralyzed our community with
fear and ever since its introduction we have seen brutalization
of Christian individuals and rural communities."

Death for derogatory remarks

Bishop Samuel Azariah of Raiwind Diocese (Pakistan) revealed to a
hushed gathering of 730 bishops how the law was passed "at a time
when a military dictator was ruling the country for 11 years."
The law, he said, states "anyone who uses derogatory remarks
against the prophet of Islam will be put to death."

There is "no option" given to the judiciary of Pakistan, said
Bishop Azariah. "No judge in Pakistan is willing to take up these
cases when an allegation is brought against them. It was because
of this frustration that we experienced the sacrifice of the life
of the Roman Catholic Bishop John Joseph." Bishop Azariah
referred to the Pakistani bishop who in despair at his inability
to win justice for prisoner Ayub Misih, accused under the
blasphemy Law, shot himself in front of the Sahiwal courthouse in
May.

The resolution, proposed by Anglican bishops from the South Asia
and  Middle East regions, states: "We are deeply concerned with
the increasing intolerance and call upon  the conference to
condemn the rise of intolerance towards minorities; especially
Christians [and] the legal and judicial processes which
marginalise minorities and isolate them from the national
mainstream."

Bishop Mano Rumalshah of Peshawar (Pakistan) brought "a word of
gratitude" to the bishops and "to people across the world who
have stood by us in our hour of trial and agony."

"Keep at it," he said, "not only for Pakistan's sake but wherever
you see human lives being endangered . . . . It does matter.
Never underestimate what international pressure does to alleviate
situations particularly in a country like ours. We have seen its
truth."

For further information, contact:

   Lambeth Conference Communications
   Canterbury Business School