From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator Issues Retraction of Comment Made at Assembly

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Aug 1998 18:29:19

98256

    Moderator Issues Retraction of Comment
    Made at Assembly

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The Rev. Douglas W. Oldenburg, moderator of the 210th
General Assembly (1998), has issued a retraction of a statement he made
during the debate in Charlotte over the National Network of Presbyterian
College Women.

    The full text of Oldenburg's retraction, which was received by the
Presbyterian News Service on July 27:

    "In a statement I made to the 210th General Assembly and in subsequent
correspondence, I said that previous General Assemblies have had
demonstrations in plenary sessions by the pro-life and gay and lesbian
constituencies expressing their pain.  I am told that the pro-life
constituency has not done so, and I apologize for my error."