From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

All lawsuits related to Fort Worth pastor now settled

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 10 Aug 1998 13:54:34

Aug. 10, 1998	Contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
Tenn.         {470}

By United Methodist News Service

All lawsuits related to Barry Bailey, former pastor of  First United
Methodist Church in Fort Worth, Texas, have been settled according to
Bishop Joe A. Wilson.

Bailey was the senior pastor at the 10,500-member church, third largest
congregation in the denomination, when allegations by several women of
sexual misconduct surfaced in 1994.  In August of that year he retired,
ending 18 years as the pastor.  The following March, at the request of
the Central Texas Conference, he surrendered his clergy credentials
rather than face a church trial.  Bailey consistently proclaimed his
innocence.

In his statement, released August 7, Bishop Wilson said all the lawsuits
have been resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties.  "The
settlements are not an admission of guilt by any of the defendants," he
added.

The bishop expressed regret at the "human failure of all involved that
allowed the tragic conditions of pain in the lives of the women who
brought accusations of misconduct."

He said neither he nor his predecessor, Bishop John Russell, had any
knowledge of the alleged sexual misconduct of Bailey.  "When it was
brought to my attention, I initiated the church process within three
days, which eventually led to Barry Bailey's voluntary surrender of his
credentials in the United Methodist Church."

Wilson expressed gratitude for the "courage and integrity" of women who
come forward with complaints and said the United Methodist Church is
improving policies and practices to ensure the protection of persons
from harassment in any form.

# # #

NOTE:  Full text of statement follows:

STATEMENT OF BISHOP JOE A WILSON
Episcopal Leader of  the Central Texas Conference
of the United Methodist Church

Several lawsuits have been brought against the Central Texas Conference,
its officials, and the First United Methodist Church of Fort Worth over
the last four years.  The lawsuits are based on allegations of sexual
misconduct by Barry  Bailey during his tenure as Senior Pastor of the
Church.  I am pleased to announce that all of these lawsuits have now
been resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties.  The
settlements are not an admission of guilt by any of the defendants.

As Bishop of the United Methodist Church, I regret the human failure of
all involved that allowed the tragic conditions of pain in the lives of
the women who  brought accusations of misconduct.

I want to reaffirm that neither I nor my predecessor, Bishop John
Russell, had any knowledge of the alleged sexual misconduct of Barry
Bailey.   When it was brought to my attention, I initiated the church
process within three days, which eventually led to Barry Bailey's
voluntary surrender of his credentials in the United Methodist Church.

The Church stands for justice, and where there has been evidence of
neglect and personal harm, we are sincerely sorry.  The Church is
committed to improving policies and practices that ensure the protection
of persons from harassment in any form, and to discovering ways in which
it might care for persons who experience undeserved injury.

Sexual harassment is demeaning, intimidating, and coercive, and
interferes with the moral mission of the church.  I am grateful for the
courage and integrity of women who come forward in order to be heard and
to make a difference in the life of the Church.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/