From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Enomotos return to Japan

From Beth Hawn
Date 12 Aug 1998 13:48:05

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
To:  'Worldwide Faith News'
Date: 1998-08-12 14:05
Message ID: EFCA999FBA31D211AAB0006008075ABF
Conversation ID: Enomotos return to Japan

August 12, 1998
Mennonite Board of Missions
Beth Hawn
219-294-7523
<NEWS@MBM.org>

Enomotos return to Japan in August with MBM/COM

CAMBRIDGE, Ont. (GCMC/MBM) - Mennonite overseas missions workers
usually face a brand new culture in a place full of new ideas, sounds and
smells.
Culture shock is typical, often accompanied by homesickness.

Kaz and Lois Enomoto, however, are not your typical Mennonite Board of
Missions/ Commission on Overseas Mission workers. Culture shock won't
be too much of a problem, and they aren't worried about the food. When
the
family leaves for Japan in August, Kaz will be going home.

Originally from a town south of Osaka, Japan, Kaz was working in Osaka
when he
met Lois, who taught English with Mennonite Brethren Mission/Service from

1991 to 1993. "I was eating in a pizza restaurant when a whole group of
Americans walked in," he said. "I just wanted to practice my English."

Attracted by the joy and presence of the international group that he had
met,
Kaz began attending church with them. He and Lois eventually began
dating,
and they married in 1994 in Oklahoma, where Lois grew up.

Lois and Kaz have lived in Fresno, Calif., since they were married. Once
they
graduated from the Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary there, they began

looking for missions opportunities. "We were looking for something that
would work for both of us," said Lois. "I had lived in Japan for two
years, so
I was open to going back."

They originally looked into going to Japan with Mennonite Brethren
missions,
but they didn't know when they would have a position open," Kaz said. "We

didn't want to wait too long."

They will begin work with COM and MBM in late August. The couple will run
guest house in Tokyo, and Kaz will serve as the director of the Tokyo
Anabaptist Center. "I'll be a resource person," Kaz said. "There will be
a lot
to do, like a lecture series and seminars. The center has an agenda that
is
set."

Although both Lois and Kaz have lived in Japan, their new life together
will
bring brand-new challenges and experiences. While bi-racial marriages
are becoming more and more common in Japanese cities, the Enomotos will
face
the challenge of raising four-month-old Erika in two very different
cultures.

"I guess I figure that in the first two years, how difficult can it be?"
Lois
said. "We'll just take it one day at a time." Kaz's mother traveled to
Fresno
when Erika was born, "to see her, not to see me," Kaz joked.

In addition to re-adjusting to life in Japan, Lois will also work on
learning
Japanese. "I've tried having Kaz teach me, but it just doesn't work,"
Lois
said. "We need to have a more professional relationship - it's too easy
back out of studying."

* * *

Rachel Lewis       PHOTO AVAILABLE