From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Little Rock hosts national academy for urban workers

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 12 Aug 1998 15:14:07

Aug. 12, 1998	Contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
Tenn.         {477}

NOTE:  A photo is available with this story.

By Jane Dennis*

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Church workers in the trenches of urban ministries
-- those who daily throw lifelines to at-risk children and youth, the
addicted, the poor, the marginalized and others -- often need an extra
measure of  support and training. Who better to provide that leadership
and guidance than Christian colleagues doing similar work around the
country?

This concept was the basis for a national leadership academy, "People
Under Construction: A Wholistic Approach to Recovery," Aug. 3-8 at
Theressa Hoover United Methodist Church here.

"We want to teach people who live and work here how they might replicate
what we do and what we already know," said the Rev. Linda Hollies, event
coordinator and director of missions for the West Michigan Annual
Conference. "We want to train other folk to go the next step ... to
dream big dreams."

The event drew clergy and laity involved in urban ministries, as well as
"clients" of Hoover  Church's numerous substance abuse and relapse
prevention programs, and children and youth served by the church's
Shalom ministries. Learning took place not only in workshops and plenary
sessions, but through dance and music classes and hands-on mission work
projects. About 130 persons participated.

Hoover Church, a predominately black congregation of about 170 members,
turned an abandoned church building into a thriving community of hope.
Hoover's ministry includes a homeless emergency shelter for more than
100 men and women; substance abuse recovery and relapse prevention
programs; transitional housing and alternative sentencing for adults
coming out of the criminal justice system; a child-care center; youth
programs that include after-school tutoring and gang intervention; and
an alternative sentencing community service program for adjudicated
youth.

The academy, sponsored in part by the denomination's  Board of Global
Ministries,  began with two and a half days of mission service at
shelters operated by Hoover. The work included painting, installing new
flooring and wallpaper, cleaning, minor home repairs and yard work.

Youth participants also painted several dormitory rooms as part of an
ongoing Volunteer in Mission project at United Methodist-related
Philander Smith College in Little Rock. The weeklong youth theme was
"Building God's Beloved Community."

"Part of our job is to teach churches they have to go beyond the walls
of the church building to impact the community," Hollies said. "You've
got to go out and  meet people where they are. But if you're going to
invite people in off the street, you need to provide them with a place
that's clean, inviting and affirming of their personhood." That's a key
reason hands-on work projects
were built into the academy agenda, she said.

A brief tour one morning revealed plenty of activity: fresh paint being
applied inside the women's shelter, a new door installed at the
transitional home, electric circuits being replaced in the emergency
shelter, and sidewalks surrounding the church being edged and swept.
"We're doing mission and ministry this week because we believe ministry
is about mission," Hollies
said, "and it's about doing the business of Jesus Christ."

Keynote speaker Arkansas Supreme Court Judge Wendell Griffen, who is
also pastor of a large black Baptist church in Little Rock, challenged
academy participants to "turn the world upside down," much like Paul and
Silas did when they entered the synagogue at Thessalonica (Acts 17:1-7).

"We are supposed to be turning the world upside down, ... and
proclaiming the truth in a new way, just like what's happening here at
Hoover," Griffen said. "The scriptures tell us the grace and truth of
God has always upset traditional thinking and behavior," he said, citing
as examples Moses going into Egypt, Noah building the Ark, Joshua
traveling to Canaan and Jesus'
preaching.

Wondering aloud, Griffen asked "what would happen if the government
spent more money to educate poor children than is currently spent to
house inmates in penitentiaries? What would happen, he wondered, if the
churches purchased tax-exempt real estate in poorer neighborhoods and
rehabilitated the property so it could be used for positive purposes
rather than for crack houses and other illegal activities?

"The people of God are supposed to be turning the world upside down.
They are supposed to be teaching, preaching and practicing a gospel that
is revolutionary. The sad fact is the people have forgotten that,"
Griffen said.

Plenary sessions, lectures and workshops were also offered. Topics
ranged from securing grants for urban ministries and the power of the
media, to transitioning ex-offenders back into the community and
teaching young people to control anger. Participants also joined in
daily devotions and evening worship.

(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/