From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church leaders reject claims that Bible condemns homosexuality

From "Barb Powell"<powellb@ucc.org>
Date 13 Aug 1998 10:53:44

Aug. 12, 1998
Office of Communication
United Church of Christ
Laurie Bartels, press contact
(216) 736-2213
bartelsl@ucc.org
On the Web: <http://www.ucc.org>

Church leaders reject claims that
Bible condemns homosexuality

     WASHINGTON, D.C.-- The Office for Church in
Society of the United Church of Christ today (Aug. 12) joined
other social justice and religious groups at a press conference
refuting claims that the Bible condemns homosexuality.  The
press conference was called by the Human Rights Campaign,
the largest gay/lesbian advocacy group in the United States.
     "We are pleased to witness to the world that Jesus has
led us to an understanding of the gospel that has deepened our
sense of community and love for each other," said the Rev.
Pat Conover, Policy Advocacy Associate for the Office for
Church in Society, at the press conference.  "It pains us deeply
that some people are using words of faith to strike at those we
love and respect."
     The noon press conference, held at the National Press
Club, included representatives from several faith and social
action groups, including Dignity, a Catholic coalition; the
Friends Committee on National Legislation; The Interfaith
Alliance; the Union of American Hebrew Congregations; the
Unitarian Universalists Association; and the United Church of
Christ. It was called by the Human Rights Campaign in
response to statements made by the Family Research Council,
which holds the position that the major world religions have
always opposed homosexuality and interprets passages of the
Bible and the Koran as supporting its views on homosexuality.
     The United Church of Christ, with national office in
Cleveland, has some 1.4 million members and more than
6,000 local churches in the United States and Puerto Rico.  Its
Office for Church in Society studies the gospel in its bearing
on people in society, provides and publishes information on
social issues and formulates and promotes programs of social
education and action for the UCC.  In the UCC's decentralized
form of governance, local churches are free to form their own
opinions on social and theological matters and may disagree
with statements of national bodies and officials.
                  # # #

[EDITORS: Here is the full text of the statement made by the
Rev. Pat Conover of the United Church of Christ Office for
Church in Society at the Aug. 12 Human Rights Campaign
press conference.]

"I share with you the most basic statement of the good news
of Jesus Christ.  When asked by a lawyer what he must do to
inherit eternal life, Jesus responded with a proper lawyerly
question, 'What is written in the law?  What is your reading of
it?'  The lawyer had memorized the proper citation.  He
responded, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with
all your soul, with all your strength, with all your mind: and
your neighbor as yourself.' 'That is the right answer,' said
Jesus.  'Do that and you will live' (Luke 10:25-28, New
English Bible).

"Despite being praised for his answer, the lawyer asked for a
clarification: 'Who is my neighbor?'  This question led Jesus
to offer the well known parable of a Jew who needed help
from a Samaritan.  Sometimes interpreters rush past the
central message of this parable to encourage people to become
'Good Samaritans.'  But this parable is not an exhortation to
be helpful.  It tells people of faith who their neighbor is.  You
see, the antipathy of the lawyer for Samaritans, heretics of that
day, was as strong as the antipathy of some people of faith for
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.  Jesus told the
lawyer that his neighbor, the one he was supposed to love with
all his strength, was the person who is full of love and
generosity, not the person who is one of us (See Luke 10:29-
37).

"Some say today that the Bible opposes homosexuality.  On
their side they have the weight of tradition.  The United
Church of Christ responds to such tradition with the Holy
Spirit centered affirmation that there is yet more truth to break
forth from God's Word.  Jesus is recorded as having little to
say about sexuality and nothing to say about homosexuality.
Some biblical passages that are asserted to be about
homosexuality are sometimes easily seen as not about
homosexuality at all when a closer reading is given.  Those
passages which do address homosexuality are concerned about
the same sins that plague heterosexuality as well:  rape, sex
with temple prostitutes, and possibly sex with children.

"The United Church of Christ is blessed with having some
wonderful members and ministers who witness in their daily
lives to love, responsibility, integrity and, through their
powerful ministries, to us all.  Many of our gay and lesbian
brothers and sisters in Christ model responsible and loving
partnerships that have opened powerful channels of grace in
their lives.  We are thankful for the lives and ministries of our
gay and lesbian brothers and sisters.  We are pleased to
witness to the world that Jesus has led us to an understanding
of the gospel that has deepened our sense of community and
love for each other.  It pains us deeply that some people are
using words of faith to strike at those we love and respect.  We
hope that the dialogue will grow in ways that make more room
for the healing leadership of the Holy Spirit."

                 #   #   #