From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moravians Vote for Full Communion with ELCA

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 13 Aug 1998 16:17:32

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 13, 1998

MORAVIANS VOTE FOR FULL COMMUNION WITH ELCA
98-29-164-AH

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The synod of the Northern Province of the Moravian
Church voted Aug. 9 to approve a proposal establishing full communion with
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the largest Lutheran
group in the United  States.
     The Rev. R. Burke Johnson, newly elected president of the Provincial
Elders Conference, Moravian Church, Northern Province, celebrated the
approval.  "I am very pleased that the Northern Province has joined with
the Southern Province in approving the full communion legislation," he
said. "I understand unity as God's gift to the church; our task is to make
that gift visible."
     In Chicago the Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA,
said, "We extend our gratitude now that both the Southern and Northern
Provinces of the Moravian Church in America have voted positively on the
proposal to establish full communion with the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America."
     Anderson said, "This action affirms the Lutheran church's
longstanding relationship with the Unitas Fratrum -- our interwoven
histories and theological traditions, our common commitments to mission and
service to those in need, and our shared Christian faith.  It also
acknowledges the relationship of full communion the ELCA already enjoys
with Moravians in other parts of the world through membership in the
Lutheran World Federation."
     ELCA congregations are studying the dialogue report, "Following Our
Shepherd to Full Communion."  Action will be taken by the ELCA at its
Churchwide Assembly in August 1999.
     Johnson's predecessor, the Rev. Dr. Gordon L. Sommers, said, "We
thank God that we have found fundamental agreement that will lead us to
enjoy the fullness of our unity between the Moravians and the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America.  In addition to the sharing of the Lord's Table
together, we believe that our quest for unity will honor Christ."
     The Northern Province includes about 30,000 Moravians in 14 states,
the District of Columbia, and two provinces of Canada.  The Southern
Province of the Moravian Church, with congregations in three states in the
southeastern United States, took the same action in May.
     The result of six years of dialogue between representatives of the
two churches, this proposal is not intended to lead to a merger.  It seeks
closer working relationships at both the local and national level and
exchange of clergy.  Moravians and Lutherans already have close working
relationships in Germany, South Africa and Tanzania.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director 1-773-380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html