From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Omagh Bombing

From Sheila MESA <smm@wcc-coe.org>
Date 17 Aug 1998 05:09:54

World Council of Churches
Press Release
For Immediate Use

CEC AND WCC EXPRESS SHOCK AT OMAGH
BOMB OUTRAGE

Following the bomb attack in Omagh, Northern Ireland, on Saturday, 15
August 1998, which killed 28 and injured some 200 people, the General
Secretaries of the Conference of European Churches (CEC) and the
World Council of Churches (WCC), the Rev. Dr Keith Clements and the
Rev. Dr Konrad Raiser, have issued the following statement:

"On behalf of the Conference of European Churches and the World
Council of Churches, we express our shock and dismay at the
outrageous bombing in Omagh, Northern Ireland, on 15 August.  That
such an unspeakable crime should have been committed, in which so
many innocent people have suffered death, injury and bereavement, has
appalled people throughout Europe and other parts of the world who
have the cause of peace in Northern Ireland in their hearts and in their
prayers.

To the bereaved, to the injured and their families, and to all the people of
Omagh, we offer our deepest sympathy and our prayers for God's
consolation and healing.  We share the passionate desire that the
perpetrators of this crime will be quickly brought to justice.

The Omagh massacre is a challenge to the democratically elected
leaders in both islands to root out the sectarianism that has taken a
heavy toll during the last three decades.  While it may be necessary to
introduce new laws to deal with criminals bent upon perpetuating
wanton violence, it is at the same time necessary to inculcate values of
tolerance and accommodation to break down the walls of hatred and
strife.

We realize that for many people the road to a lasting peace in Northern
Ireland, inaugurated in the Good Friday agreement, may now seem still
more difficult and perilous.  But we are aware that those who committed
this crime did so out of anger and frustration realizing that their aims and
methods have been decisively rejected by the majority of the people of
Ireland including the political leadership of all communities and
allegiances.  It is our hope and prayer that the people and their leaders
will remain firm in their commitment to pursue peace by negotiation and
conciliation despite efforts at intimidation by a small minority.

To the churches of Omagh and their leaders, of all Christian confessions,
we especially convey our deepest solidarity in Christ.  We have been
greatly encouraged to learn of how they have been growing closer in
fellowship over the years.  At this time when so much of the task of
providing care and comfort will be falling on them, we pray that they may
be strengthened for every means by which they will be called to minister
the love of Christ and the gospel of hope.  In this ministry, may they be
drawn still closer together, as a sign and instrument of the reconciling
love of God.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never overcome
it'."
--------------

Please note that the WCC General Secretary has also sent letters of
condolence to the general secretaries of the National Council of
Churches of Kenya (NCCK) , and the Christian Council of Tanzania (CCT)
following the 7 August car bomb attacks on the US embassies in Nairobi
and Dar-es-Salaam.

Dr Raiser described both attacks as "dastardly" and told Rev. Mutava
Musyimi, NCCK General Secretary, "Our commitment to the theology of
life urges us not only to denounce but with all our forces to oppose such
death-dealing acts of terrorism that bring pain and suffering to innocent
people".  NCCK headquarters are located close to the US embassy.  One
NCCK staff member in the building was killed by the explosion and
another lost his sight.  The office premises were extensively damaged.

Dr Raiser told CCT General Secretary, Dr Wilson Mthebe, "The World
Council of Churches vehemently condemns such wanton acts of
violence.  Perpetuated by forces of evil and darkness, they are an
offence to God and humanity and remind us of the need to continue in
pursuance of our efforts for the non-violent resolution of differences
and conflicts among all God's people."

**********
The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 332, in
more than 100 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian
traditions.  The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but
works cooperatively with the WCC.  The highest governing body is the
Assembly, which meets approximately every seven years.  The WCC
was formally inaugurated in 1948 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Its staff is
headed by general secretary Konrad Raiser from the Evangelical Church
in Germany.

World Council of Churches
Press and Information Office
Tel:  (41.22) 791.61.52/51