From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY ISSUES A RESPONSE

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 18 Aug 1998 11:50:34

NCCCUSA General Secretary Issues Response
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

84NCC8/18/98         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY ISSUES PASTORAL RESPONSE TO
PRESIDENT CLINTON'S AUGUST 17, 1998 SPEECH

 NEW YORK, August 18 ---- The Rev. Dr. Joan
Brown Campbell, General Secretary of the National
Council of Churches (NCC), has issued a pastoral
response to President Clinton's August 17 speech to
the nation.

 In her response, Dr. Campbell reacts with
sadness to "human frailty" and draws on belief in a
God who "judges with unclouded vision and responds
with understanding love - a model for our human
lives."

 Dr. Campbell also says, "our long experience in
pastoral care has taught us the wisdom of
protecting personal life from public display.  I
hope that, as a nation we are now learning that
truth."

 The full text of Dr. Campbell's statement
follows.

A Pastoral Response
^From the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell
August 18, 1998

 Our thoughts and prayers are with the President,
his family and the nation.  It is more a moment of
sadness than surprise when we confront the human
frailty in ourselves or others.  We are grateful for
the grace of honesty in the face of untiring
accusations.

 Yet, we believe that all of us in our humanity are
finally accountable to God and to those who love us.
Our God is One who judges with unclouded vision and
always responds with understanding love - a model for
our human lives.

 Our long experience in pastoral care has taught us
the wisdom of protecting personal life from public
display.  I hope that, as a nation, we are now learning
that truth.  The private lives of our public leaders
are best left private or we will have none allowed to
lead.

 In such a painful time, the Clinton family
deserves our quiet support.  Our churches invite all
people to join us in private and caring prayers.

-end-
 -0-