From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

STATE COORDINATORS SEE "UPWELLING OF THE SPIRIT"

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 18 Aug 1998 12:48:07

State Coordinators see "Upwelling of the Spirit"
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

83NCC8/18/98         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STATE COORDINATORS OF NCC INTERFAITH GLOBAL WARMING
CAMPAIGN SEE "UPWELLING OF THE SPIRIT" IN LOCAL
ENVIRONMENTAL MINISTRIES

 NEW YORK, August 18 ---- Susan Harlow, the Indiana
coordinator for the nine-state interfaith global warming
campaign spurred by the National Council of Churches (NCC),
would rather not be pigeonholed by being called an
environmentalist.

 "Everything that I am is contained in saying that I
am a Christian," she said.  "As a Christian, I am a person
of justice, of peace and of caring for the environment.  My
parents were Christians who taught us that the earth is
holy."  Ms. Harlow is a divinity student at Christian
Theological Seminary in Indianapolis, Indiana who is
pursuing ordination in the United Church of Christ and
considers work on environmental issues to be her "call."

 Likewise, Kim Winchell has found through her
involvement in the grass-roots group Michigan Ecumenical
Consultation on Christianity and Ecology (MECCE) that "it
has been a journey for me to see the Biblical basis for
earth-keeping.  I have a science background and have found
that the two halves, science and theology, are really tied
together for me now," she said.  "For instance, in ecology
we know that everything is connected.  There is a verse in
Colossians that says `all things hold together.'"

"When we hold our conferences, the laypeople who come
often say that they thought they were the only one who
thought that caring for the earth was a spiritual issue,"
Ms. Winchell said.  "They are encouraged to be around a lot
of other people who feel the same way."

 Ms. Winchell will be the Michigan coordinator for the
NCC project.  She is a hospital laboratory technologist and
actively involved in her local synod, the Northwest Lower
Michigan Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of
America (ELCA).

 Ms. Harlow and Ms. Winchells' faith-based work on
environmental issues is shared by the network of
environmental justice coordinators and other leaders that
the NCC is counting on to carry out its four-pronged
strategy on climate change.  One piece of that strategy is
an interfaith project in nine states designed to raise
awareness and increase advocacy about climate change
through media placements, congregational resources and
visits to Senators.

 The targeted states include: Pennsylvania, West
Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, Michigan,
North Dakota and South Dakota.

 "My task is to empower people of all faiths in
Indiana and to convince our Senators to support the Kyoto
treaty," Ms Harlow said.  "I will do that by contacting the
media, our church judicatories and the major denominational
bodies to say that it is important for anyone of faith to
take this issue seriously, and also by encouraging
congregations to use several resources."

-more-

83NCC8/18/98
NINE-STATE PROJECT, Page 2

 "In my conversations with people, I realize that
people feel really disempowered," Ms. Harlow said.  "They
feel that the issue is too big.  When they learn that there
are specific things they can do, their attitude changes."

 "A lot of times, it is only one person in a
congregation that gets passionate about these issues, but
that is a start," Ms. Winchell said.  "I think it is
wonderful that there are all the national structures in
place, but from my perspective, I am greatly heartened by
what I see as an upwelling of the spirit (at the local
level).  People are coming to spiritual realizations about
caring for the earth on their own."

 Ms. Harlow concurred.  "Just in talking to people, I
can really feel a groundswell.  People are excited that
people of faith are coming together in one voice.  They
think it is unjust the way the political machine has kept
us from caring for the environment the way we should."

 Ms. Harlow said the argument frequently made
insisting that we will suffer economically if we comply to
the Kyoto treaty is simply untrue.  "Studies have shown the
U.S. can reduce energy use by 20% or more at net economic
benefit because it will result in cutting emissions,
increasing efficiency, adding jobs, reducing waste and
reducing oil imports."

Ms. Harlow said she is placing a special emphasis on
reaching out to youth groups on the climate change issue,
for two reasons.  "If you have 15 to 20 really charged
teenagers, they can really lead a congregation," she
explained.  "Also, they are our future voters and future
leaders of congregations.  If they adopt this issue, then
it will not die."

 In Michigan, Ms. Winchell said she will use the
existing network and mailing list developed from the MECCE
conferences as one starting point.  "Basically, we plan to
network, network and network some more, and then pray a
lot," she said.

 The goal is to get at least 50 congregations in each
state to use an editorial "Global Climate Change: A
Religious Issue" by NCC General Secretary Joan Brown
Campbell as a bulletin insert and to distribute the five-
session Bible study entitled "It's God's World: Christians,
the Environment and Climate Change."

 The coordinators will work over a four-month period,
although both Ms. Harlow and Ms. Winchell emphasize that
this is neither the beginning nor the end of their work
around these issues.  "This is not something we are going
to quit caring about after the four months is over," Ms.
Winchell said.

 "I always think of the line from the poet Gustav
Thibon which says, `Dig in the narrow place which has been
given you and you will find God there,'" Ms. Harlow said.
"This work is the narrow place which has been given me."

-end-

Note: The NCC's climate change strategy packet (EJ9800) is
available for $1 from Environmental Justice Resources, NCC,
P.O. Box 968, Elkhart, Indiana, 46515; 800-762-0968.
 -0-