From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Vision Africa seeks to raise native missionaries, churches

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 19 Aug 1998 16:00:29

Aug. 18, 1998      Contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{486}

NOTE: This story may be used as a sidebar to UMNS #485. Photographs are
available.

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. (UMNS) - The nature of mission work in Africa is
changing, creating a greater need for indigenous people to be trained
for ministry, according to a Nigerian who has started a program for that
purpose.

People in the United States are no longer as interested in traveling
abroad for lengthy periods to do mission work in Africa, said the Rev.
Sunday Onuoha of Nigeria. Realizing that, he started Vision Africa, a
ministry aimed at establishing churches and training missionaries and
leaders on the continent.

"Our concern is to raise Africans to be in mission in Africa," he said.

Onuoha, 34, was among five Nigerians and more than 15 African young
people attending the Sixth International Christian Youth Conference on
Evangelism, Aug. 6-13, on St. Simons Island, Ga. In addition to being
director of Vision Africa, Onuoha is a student at the Perkins School of
Theology at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

The number of missionaries going to Africa has decreased "seriously,"
Onuoha said. "Prior to now, there was a high level of stability in Third
World countries."

Vision Africa started 14 churches last year and another 10 this summer.
In 1999, its goal is to start 20 churches.

"We do not go to Africa to start churches for Vision Africa," Onuoha
said. "We do things for churches in Africa, helping the churches in
Africa to grow, helping the churches in Africa to reach the hungry, to
reach the sick."

Vision Africa organizes teams of volunteers from a variety of
professions, including doctors, nurses, pastors. Each group goes to
Africa for a short stay of three to four weeks.

The program is focusing its efforts on Nigeria first, building a base of
churches there that can provide support as the program goes into other
countries.

"What we are succeeding in doing is creating a spiritual unity in
Africa," Onuoha said.

Vision Africa's next group is going to Nigeria in January. Leadership
events for college students will be held in the eastern and western
parts of the country. At the same time, medicine and care will be
provided to people in need. Two more trips to Nigeria will follow in
1999.

Onuoha's goal is to reach 50 percent of Africa's countries within the
next 10 years.

Vision Africa's strategy involves reaching the most prominent leaders in
each country and using them. For example, Bishop Sunday Mbang, prelate
of the Methodist Church in Nigeria, has given credibility and support to
Vision Africa's work in his country.

African church leaders identify places that need local churches. Then,
Vision Africa representatives meet with local people and establish
committees to get churches started.

"The Western world knows very little about the pain and suffering that
is going on in Africa," Onuoha said. Vision Africa wants to let people
know what is happening, so that when people are praying for Africa, they
will know what they are praying about, he said.

"We want the whole world to be with us, to see where we are going."

Vision Africa has an Advance Special number, and its account is handled
through Highland Park United Methodist Church in Dallas. Donations may
be marked for Vision Africa, Advance Special No. 012969-8RA, and sent to
the General Board of Global Ministries at 475 Riverside Drive, New York,
NY 10115.

(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/