From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

President's behavior shakes confidence, says UCC leader

From "Barb Powell"<powellb@ucc.org>
Date 20 Aug 1998 13:37:40

President's behavior, partisan investigation undermines confidence,
says church leader
Aug. 20, 1998
Office of Communication
United Church of Christ
Laurie Bartels, press contact
(216) 736-2213
bartelsl@ucc.org
On the Web: <http://www.ucc.org>

President's behavior, partisan investigation
has undermined public confidence, says church leader

     CLEVELAND   President Clinton's infidelity and the
ensuing investigation has injured the people of the United States and
undermined public confidence in the integrity of all leaders, says the
Rev. Paul H. Sherry, President of the United Church of Christ.

     In a statement released today (Aug. 20), Sherry extends
prayers for the Clinton family, but also calls the nation to recommit
itself to "the personal discipline and compassionate vision required
for effective and faithful leadership."

     Here is the text of Sherry's statement:

     "This is a sad week for our country and its people.
President Clinton's infidelity and the partisan nature of the ongoing
public investigation are a source of deep hurt for his family, injure
friends and colleagues, including Monica Lewinsky, and further
undermine public confidence in the integrity of all leaders.  Both the
President's actions and the investigation have distracted our
government from its most central concerns   care for the poor,
justice for the oppressed, protection of the environment and the
promotion of peace.

     "I am grateful to those who have been able to extend
pastoral care to the President and his family, and hope that they can
find healing and reconciliation in the midst of God's forgiveness and
grace.  As we pray for the Clinton family, may we all recommit
ourselves to the personal discipline and compassionate vision
required for effective and faithful leadership in our society."

     The United Church of Christ, with national offices in
Cleveland, has 1.4 million members and more than 6,000 local
churches in the United States and Puerto Rico.  It was formed by
the 1957 union of the Congregational Christian Churches and the
Evangelical and Reformed Church.