From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Statement on U.S. Air Strikes

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Aug 1998 12:00:28

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

A Statement on the U.S. Air Strikes
in Afghanistan and Sudan
The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
August 21, 1998

We live in a dangerous world where violence is a constant threat.  No
one is immune.  We at the National Council of Churches were devastated
by the recent bombings of American embassies in Africa, which deeply
affected our Kenyan and Tanzanian church partners.  We mourn with them
and for all who were killed and injured.

In such a world, there may be moments when military action is
legitimate.  We do have reservations about the effectiveness of
relying on military strikes to counter terrorism.

Looking beyond the immediate situation, we make a fervent plea for
increased attention to non-violent means to insure security.  In our
highly interdependent world, cycles of violence, once sparked, are
nearly impossible to contain.  Therefore, military strikes are not a
viable long-term solution to our security problems.  True peace and
security will prevail only when we, along with the international
community, address the political, social and economic conditions that
breed extremism and terrorism.

Such an approach demands that we as a nation take seriously our
leadership role in the world, committing substantial resources to
creating a global environment of mutual respect and dialogue.  It is
not a quick or easy approach but it holds out the promise of peace.
The Bible says, "Blessed are the peacemakers."  We understand that we
will be blessed with peace only if we actively work toward it.

As Christians who seek positive ways to relate to people of other
faiths, we are deeply grateful that President Clinton made clear in
his address yesterday that Muslims are not the enemy.  Too often, the
innocent casualties of terrorist acts include our neighbors of Arab-
American descent and/or persons who profess the Muslim faith who are
subjected to harassment and violence in the wake of these tragedies.
In these uncertain times, we must break down the negative stereotypes
that keep us apart.  Now more than ever, people of faith must work
together for peace and justice.

We pray for all who are suffering in these days and we pray for  the
healing of all nations.

-end-

Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC News, 212-870-2227
 -0-