From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ordination, Installation of Gay Elder in Florida

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 21 Aug 1998 20:10:30

98279

    Ordination, Installation of Gay Elder in Florida
    Allowed to Stand ... For Now

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The ordination and installation of an openly gay man by
Second Presbyterian Church of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has been allowed to
stand by the General Assembly's Permanent Judicial Commission (PJC).

    In upholding an earlier decision by the Permanent Judicial Commission
of the Synod of South Atlantic, the PJC ruled that "The Book of Order"
contains no provisions "to declare the ordination ... null and void."

    The only available recourse in a case where an openly gay or lesbian
person is about to be ordained and/or installed, the PJC wrote in its Aug.
18 decision, is for a complainant to seek and obtain a stay of enforcement
to prevent the ordination or installation from taking place while the
church courts make their determinations.

    Once the ordination or installation has taken place, its too late.

    The case involves the Jan. 14, 1996 ordination of Ray Whetstone as an
elder of Second Presbyterian Church in Fort Lauderdale.  He had earlier
been ordained as a deacon.  Another member of the session of Second Church,
Ronald L. Wier, moved to disapprove Whetstone's examination by the session
at its Dec. 19,1995, meeting, but his motion died for lack of a second.
Wier then filed his complaint with the Presbytery of Tropical Florida, but
after Whetstone had already been ordained and installed as an elder.

    "What is at issue," the PJC wrote in its decision, "is whether the
ordination could have been annulled, set aside, voided, or vacated through
a remedial action."  The PJC ruled that it could not, though the commission
noted that there is a provision in "The Rules of Discipline" for setting
aside the ordination of an individual found guilty in a disciplinary case -
where the rules of procedure and evidence are much stricter than in
remedial cases.

    Whetstone's chances of further service as an elder or deacon seem
remote.  In its original determination in the case, the PJC of Tropical
Florida Presbytery "admonished the session to refrain from ordaining anyone
who is a self-affirming, practicing homosexual person."  Whetstone's
current term on the session concludes at the end of this year.

    And the Rev. Roger Verse, pastor of Second Church, said simply, "We
won't do it again."

    He said the congregation "realizes the constitution has changed [with
the passage of the former Amendment B as G-6.0106b].  However, Verse
continued, "Our church, by its very nature, doesn't see this as an issue
because we have been known, loved and ministered to by our gay and lesbian
members and we really don't understand why this is such a big deal in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)."

    He said Second Church elected Whetstone "intuitively - it's natural for
us that we'd ordain someone based on his gifts for ministry, not on his
orientation."  And while the church is pleased with the PJC decision, Verse
said, "We're also sad because we won't be able to use Ray's ordained gifts
again."

    Verse said the session has also passed a resolution seeking
reconciliation with Wier.  "We want Ron to continue to be a part of our
ministry here as well."  Wier was not on session when Whetstone was
elected, ordained and installed as a deacon of Second Church in 1993.  But,
Verse noted, Wier has filed numerous complaints with the session and
Tropical Florida Presbytery over the years of his involvement at Second
Church.

    Making room for everyone seems to be the prevailing ethos of Second
Church.  Keith Barber, a member of session who represented Second Church in
the judicial proceedings, decried newspaper reports in south Florida that
have depicted Second Church as "a house divided."  On the contrary, Barber
told the Presbyterian News Service, "just because a couple people disagree
on this doesn't mean we disagree on essential things.

    "All of these efforts - supporting Ray and seeking reconciliation with
Ron - are about wanting to give each other room," Barber said.  "I don't
want to make Ron believe what I believe and he sure isn't going to make me
believe what he believes, but there sure ought to be room here for both of
us."

    Wier says there is.  In an Aug. 21 interview with the Presbyterian News
Service, Wier said that though his relationship with Second Church is
"strained, I have no intention of transferring my membership anywhere else
- I love the people at Second Church and don't want to go anywhere else."

    Wier said he is still convinced the session of Second Church acted
wrongly in voting to ordain Whetstone.  "Nobody has shown me anywhere in
the Bible where Jesus sent out unrepentant sinners as his disciples," he
said.  "And I still have trouble with unrepentant sinners in leadership in
the church."

    But, he continued, its time to move on, to "get on with our lives and
take steps to build our church back up."  Losing the case was
disappointing, he added, "but I'm trusting in God that this will eventually
work out ... but right now I have my reservations."

    Whetstone was unavailable for comment.