From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodist agencies swat at Year 2000 computer bug

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 24 Aug 1998 15:11:40

Aug. 24, 1998        Contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{496}

By Tim Tanton*

A bug is on the way that has everyone fidgeting and reaching for
whatever repellant they can find.

It's called the Year 2000 computer bug, and depending on whether you're
an optimist or a pessimist, this technical glitch may cause minor
problems when the new millenium dawns, or it will signal the end of
orderly society as we know it.

While everyone from corporate chief executives to home-computer users
are trying to stave off the worst, key agencies of the United Methodist
Church are quietly working to ensure that their systems remain intact
when Jan. 1, 2000, rolls around.

"We're in a very good position so nothing calamitous would happen in
terms of shutting down the Cokesbury operation or the Abingdon
operation," said Louis Jordan, vice president of information technology
at the United Methodist Publishing House in Nashville, Tenn. Cokesbury
is the agency's retail store chain, and Abingdon is the book publishing
arm.

The anxiety over the Year 2000 bug is related to how computers around
the world mark time. Many of them are not programmed to handle century
changes, so Jan. 1, 2000, will register only as 00. Unprepared systems
will interpret that as 1900. In any case, widespread crashes and other
problems could result. Computers and chips are so ubiquitous that
everything from utility stations and traffic lights to hospitals and
stock markets could experience problems.

The churchwide Board of Pension and Health Benefits plans to have its
systems Year 2000 compliant by the end of this year, except for areas
that depend on outside vendors, said Karen Bundy, senior writer for the
Evanston, Ill.,-based agency. The board provides benefits to about
25,000 United Methodist Church retirees or survivors and 40,000 active
clergy, lay employees and their families.

"We have a Year 2000 task group, and what they're doing now is
developing an action plan," Bundy said. "Right now, it consists of about
195 items, and each separate item is going to be assigned to a member of
the task group.

"We're going to be reviewing all systems and business partners on which
we are or could be dependent, and that would include vendor supply
systems, electronically linked business partners, as well as business
partners that we deal with on the physical facilities," Bundy said.
The agency is asking vendors for certification that they are Year 2000
compliant, she said.

The Publishing House has been working on the problem for more than two
years, Jordan said.

"We're purchasing new systems rather than fix the old ones," he said.
The agency is replacing some financial systems, as well as the
order-processing and inventory systems for its Cokesbury and Abingdon
businesses. Those are to be replaced this fall, he said.

"After (that) implementation, we will eliminate most of our Year 2000
problem," Jordan said. "We will still have about four or five systems
left that are not Year 2000 compliant at that point, and we will have
adequate time to replace them before next summer. Our goal is to have
all of our systems replaced by the end of July 1999."

The Publishing House has been working with an interagency systems task
force sponsored by the churchwide General Council on Finance and
Administration (GCFA), Jordan said. The group is sharing information on
the Year 2000 problem.

The strategy of replacing the Publishing House's computer systems has a
purpose beyond resolving the millenium bug, Jordan said. "It also
provided us an opportune time not only to address the Year 2000 issue
but to move our systems to a more efficient, less costly computing
platform" to allow the agency to serve customers better.

GCFA also is upgrading its systems. The Evanston, Ill.,-based agency
handles much of the denomination's accounting, records and statistics,
and other financial activities. In confronting the Year 2000 problem,
GCFA has looked at those primary areas of responsibility first, said
Gary Bowen, an associate general secretary of the agency.

GCFA is replacing quite a bit of its hardware, which it would have done
anyway, said systems analyst Peter Mcgorry. It is getting a new
accounting system and redesigning its records and statistics systems.

Bowen and Mcgorry have discussed forming a committee to look at Year
2000 issues outside GCFA and provide guidance to other church agencies
and annual conferences. Most people understand the problem, Bowen said,
but they forget how much is run by the computer, such as security
systems that open and close doors, communications systems, and automatic
regulation of heating and cooling.

"What we're going to try and do is sit down and figure out all the
possible areas that could be affected and give people a process," he
said.

Officials with GCFA, the Board of Pension and the Publishing House say
the problem hasn't caused them to add significantly, if at all, to their
computer staffs.

There's no way to estimate how much the Year 2000 problem could cost the
church, Bowen said.
"It may not cost the denomination much of anything," he said. For
example, GCFA was going to upgrade or change its systems anyway, he
said.

In health care, computers and chip technology have become as prevalent
as scalpels and gauze. The United Methodist Association of Health and
Welfare Ministries (UMA) has about 200 members, which cover the spectrum
of health care: community-based ministries, residential treatment
centers for children, family service programs, long-term care centers
and hospitals.

"Our members have been addressing the issue since it first raised its
ugly head, when everyone said, 'Whoa, this is going to be a problem,' "
said Dean Pulliam, president and chief executive officer of Dayton,
Ohio,-based UMA. "Everyone has been quite conscientious about selecting
products that have been 2000 compatible since that point."

The UMA offers its members a computer consultation resource called the
Field Consultation Program. It is available to nonmember organizations
for an additional fee. For details, call the UMA, (937) 227-9494; fax:
(937) 222-7364; or e-mail: fcp@umassociation.org.

The joke going around is that you don't want to be on an airplane when
the millenium change occurs. Will the computer glitch cause the
apocalyptic type of scenario that some predict?

"I would say from my contacts in business and information technology
that most large businesses are fairly well prepared for the year 2000,"
Jordan said. "But I'm sure there'll still be some significant problems,
and perhaps some smaller vendors and smaller businesses certainly (will
have) disruptions in service. I don't think it's going to be a doomsday
situation, but it may have a significant impact in some areas of the
economy."
# # #
*Tanton is news editor of United Methodist News Service in Nashville,
Tenn.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at