From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ken Medema to highlight Religious Communication Congress 2000

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 25 Aug 1998 10:36:48

August 21, 1998
Religious Communications Congress 2000 (RCC 2000)
http://www.rcc2000.org

For more information contact:
Martha M. Cruz, 212-870-2344, RevMartha@aol.com
Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-3193, Ephilips@aol.com

MEDEMA'S MUSIC, `FULL OF STORIES AND HUMOR,'
WILL HELP SET THE MOOD AT RCC 2000

	Musician Ken Medema, known throughout the world for his
highly praised concert and television appearances, will
dramatize the theme and set the mood when more than 1,500
professional religious communicators descend on Chicago
March 29 - April 1, 2000, for the historic Religious
Communication Congress 2000.

	"Faith Stories in a Changing World" is the theme of
RCC 2000 and Medema's music is described by fans as "earthy
and direct, full of stories and humor."

       The blind singer and poet from San Francisco is
equally at home in styles ranging from classical to rock,
from ballad to blues, from sacred to profane.  "It is,"
according to one observer, "always searching for ways in
which people can connect to each other, enabling them to
sense the sacred in themselves and in surprising places."

	"That makes Ken an ideal addition to our roster of
presenters," said Shirley Whipple Struchen, a United
Methodist communicator and chair of RCC 2000.  "No one is
better equipped to entertain us while inspiring us to seek
more exciting ways to proclaim our stories of faith."

	RCC 2000 continues a 30-year tradition of religious
communication congresses beginning in Chicago in 1970.

The international, multi-faith forum, to be held in the
Chicago Marriott Downtown, will include state-of-the-art
communication exhibits, worship celebrations, banquets,
social gatherings, denominational and interfaith meetings
and the presentation of major awards.

The main purposes of RCC 2000 are to enable 1,500
religious communications professionals

.. To exchange views on communications issues which affect
people throughout the world;

.. To explore the effectiveness of religious communication
models currently in use;

.. To examine new technologies for the effective
communication of values and faith in the new century

.. To enhance cooperation among people of diverse media
disciplines, faiths, cultures and nations.

The congress theme will focus on five major ways of
sharing faith stories: spoken stories, electronic stories,
cyberspace stories, written stories and artistic stories.

"As plans for the congress develop, we'll be seeing
more and more gifted `story tellers' added to our roster,"
Struchen said.  "And Ken Medema is an exciting way to
begin."