From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA OFFICIALS RELIEVED BY MURDER CASE VERDICT

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 26 Aug 1998 13:35:58

NCCCUSA Officials Relieved by Murder Case Verdict
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

88NCC8/26/98                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC OFFICIALS RELIEVED BY VERDICT IN MISSISSIPPI
MURDER CASE
Recall NCC's Role in Holding 1995 Public Hearing
about 1966 Klan Killing

 NEW YORK, August 26 ---- Three years after the
National Council of Churches (NCC) held a public
hearing about the case and nearly 33 years after the
crime, a Ku Klux Klan Imperial Wizard was convicted
on August 21 for ordering the murder of civil rights
supporter Vernon Dahmer, Sr. in 1966.

 "We are greatly relieved that the killer of
Vernon Dahmer, Sr. has finally been convicted," said
the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, NCC General
Secretary.  "We hope this development will bring a
measure of peace to the Dahmer family, who have been
so steadfast in the search for justice.  We were
proud to stand by them and were inspired by their
faith and by the courageous example of Mr. Dahmer
himself, who gave his life protecting the civil
rights of all members of his community."

Vernon Dahmer Sr. was killed in a January 10,
1966 firebombing of his house, the day after he
announced that Black citizens could pay their poll
taxes, the $2 fee that was required to register to
vote, at his store.  Mr. Dahmer was a storekeeper,
farmer and local official with the N.A.A.C.P.

 Mr. Bowers had planned Mr. Dahmer's death,
sending a group of Klansmen to firebomb the Dahmer
farmhouse.  Although brought to trial for murder in
the 1960s, two all-white juries deadlocked and Mr.
Bowers was not convicted.  Mr. Bowers is now 73
years old.

Even while he was burning, Mr. Dahmer defended
his wife and family.  He kept firing his shotgun at
the Klansmen in his yard, giving his wife and
children time to escape through the back of the
house.  Since that day, Mr. Dahmer's widow and
children have never given up on their struggle to
obtain justice.

"The trial and conviction of Sam Bowers is a
testament to the longevity and the assiduous nature
of seeking justice," said the Rev. Dr. Robert Polk,
former NCC Deputy General Secretary.  "In 1995,
under my tenure, the NCC's Racial Justice Working
Group convened a hearing on the Dahmer case.  Over
three years have passed, but now we learn that in an
unprecedented decision, the senior most Klansman of
Mississippi was finally brought to justice."
-more-
88NCC8/26/98
MISSISSIPPI VERDICT/Page 2

 On July 31, 1995, the NCC held a public hearing
in Hattiesburg, Miss. to provide an opportunity for
Dahmer family members to air their appeal for new
indictments in the case.  The hearing also drew the
three candidates running for district attorney in
Hattiesburg at that time.  The candidates spoke
about the case and what they would do about it once
elected.

  Dahmer family members also spoke at the NCC's
General Board meeting in November 1995.

Speaking at the July hearing on behalf of the
NCC's Racial Justice Working Group, the late Rev.
Mac Charles Jones said, "If we are to have a future
together as a nation, it is really in the best
interests of everyone that justice is done (in this
case)."  He also called on the NCC "to adopt this
case as our own."

 Two sons, Vernon, Jr. and Dennis, spoke at the
hearing about the family's exhaustive efforts to
gain re-prosecution after mistrials in four previous
trials.  Even though the case had been reopened in
1991, the family continued to encounter formidable
obstacles.  Although the State of Mississippi made
funds available for securing a special prosecutor,
the district attorney was sluggish in hiring one.
The family had to struggle to obtain 40,000 crucial
pages of  F.B.I. records, which they finally
accomplished with the help of U.S. Representative
Bennie Thompson from Mississippi.  Worst of all,
some evidence and transcripts from past trials had
disappeared.

 Finally, the Dahmer family turned to the
community for help, who formed an organization
called "Citizens for Justice."  The Rev. Kenneth
Fairley, who headed the community group, spoke at
the 1995 hearing.  "A healing cannot take place
unless you deal with your past," he said.  "A scab
can grow over the wound, but if it is infected, it
will kill you.  Our community is being killed
because we are still infected by this.  Whoever is
in the DA's office, we are not going away until
justice rolls down."

 Three years later, Mr. Bowers was sentenced to
life in prison by a racially diverse jury as Dahmer
family members wept and thanked God.  Dennis
Dahmer's words from 1995 echo feelings the family
expressed on the day of the verdict.  "Frankly, this
should have been taken care of years ago.  But I
would rather see justice delayed than denied."

 Now that the verdict has been handed down, Dr.
Polk reflected, "This is a clarion call to the faith
community that traditionally professes justice.  Our
ability to lift up issues to the nation is but the
beginning.  We must also have a commitment to endure
through the many years of tedious work.  The Dahmers
are witnesses to that commitment.  Their struggle
for their family, for those of us who are African
American, for all people of faith, sought and found
justice after nearly 33 years."

-end-
 -0-