From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA and LCMS Pursue Theological Conversations

From Frank Imhoff <FRANKI@elca.org>
Date 26 Aug 1998 16:49:24

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 26, 1998

ELCA AND LCMS PURSUE THEOLOGICAL CONVERSATIONS
98-30-175-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The leaders of the two largest Lutheran church
bodies met here Aug. 17 to start making plans for formal discussions
between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and The Lutheran
Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS).  ELCA Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson
played host to LCMS President A.L. Barry.
     The two church bodies share the Lutheran tradition and the Augsburg
Confessions of the Reformation, and they work cooperatively in many social
services.  The ELCA and LCMS have differed on matters of biblical
interpretation and relations with other Christian churches.  They have not
engaged in "intra-Lutheran" conversations since the formation of the ELCA
in 1988.
     "President Barry and I had a very promising discussion about
initiating a series of theological conversations between representatives of
our respective church bodies," said Anderson.  "We are now in the process
of developing a specific format and list of topics."
     Anderson said he hopes the churches can discuss such topics as
ecumenical decisions and the broader question of how each church views
unity with other Christians, as well as the Lutheran approach toward
post-modern society.
     "I anticipate that I will have a recommendation ready for the next
meeting of the ELCA Church Council" which will be held here Nov. 12-16,
said Anderson.
     In August 1997 the ELCA agreed to enter into "full communion" with
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Reformed Church in America and United
Church of Christ, and it adopted a joint declaration on the doctrine of
justification with the Roman Catholic Church.
     In July a national convention of the LCMS passed a resolution saying,
"In faithfulness to God's Word and the Lutheran Confessions, and motivated
by our love and concern for the people and pastors of the ELCA, we express
our deep regret and profound disagreement with these actions taken by the
ELCA."  The same resolution urged the two Lutheran church bodies to keep
talking to each other and supported Barry's meeting with Anderson.
     "I really appreciated the opportunity to travel to Chicago to meet
with Bishop Anderson," said Barry.  "I conveyed to him personally the
resolution adopted by our synod regarding the ecumenical decisions of the
ELCA."
     "Among other items, we explored ways in which we could begin working
toward a formal process of theological discussions between our two churches
on a variety of subjects," said Barry.  "We are now in the process of
identifying dates when these discussions can begin.  I am hopeful that they
will begin in the near future."
     The ELCA has 5.2 million members in 11,000 congregations.  The
Missouri Synod has 2.6 million members in 6,200 congregations.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html