From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

A Different Kind of Internet Love Story

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 26 Aug 1998 21:35:09

98267

    A Different Kind of Internet Love Story

    by Jacquelyn Lynn
    "The Orlando Sentinel"
    (used with permission)

(Editor's note: Jacquelyn Lynn, a freelance writer, and Mary Kinney are
members of Winter Park Presbyterian Church in Central Florida Presbytery.
Also instrumental in this story were members of First Presbyterian Church
and St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, both in Billings, Mont., Yellowstone
Presbytery. - Jerry L. Van Marter)

ORLANDO, Fla.--This is a story of faith, love and hope on the Internet.  It
began, unfortunately, with a tragedy.

    On May 27, Mary Kinney - a former Central Florida resident serving as a
missionary on the Arizona/Mexico border - posted an e-mail message to a
friend in Winter Park.  Briefly, she reported that her daughter, Debi, and
son-in-law, Jason, had been in a serious car crash in Montana. She said she
was en route to the hospital in Billings and asked for prayers.

    The friend forwarded the message to everyone she knew who knew Mary,
locally and throughout the world. And the prayers began.

    During the next few days, the friend posted e-mail updates each time
she talked with Mary. Debi and Jason had been driving from Florida, where
they had been visiting family, back to their home in Seattle when the crash
occurred.  Sadly, Jason did not survive, and Debi suffered serious brain
injuries and was in intensive care.

    In a strange town, with limited resources, Mary hovered over Debi's
bed.  It was anguish compounded by geography.  I knew that I was not alone
in wishing that there was more I could do, but, from here in Florida,
prayers were the best I had to offer.

    Then I realized I had a unique network that might be of some help.  A
dog lover, I am on two breed-specific Internet mailing lists.  I posted a
notice to both lists, describing the situation and asking if there were any
members near Billings who could possibly do something.  It didn't have to
be much, perhaps just someone stopping by the hospital, maybe taking Mary
lunch or even offering her a place to come for a home-cooked meal and a
chance to do her laundry.

    The response was heartwarming.  People on the lists who lived near
Billings went to the hospital.  One woman drove 45 miles just to give Mary
a hug.  Another, in the middle of selling her house and moving herself,
took the time to visit daily.  After reading the notice, a Florida "lister"
called her cousin who lives in Billings.  He brought a meal and flowers to
the hospital.  Others not close enough to visit asked if they could send
donations, cards and gifts.

    On June 13, Debi was flown by air ambulance to Orlando and is now
undergoing rehabilitation at a local hospital.  The Internet and e-mail
continue to play a major role in communication and support, as all of
Mary's friends - both longtime and new - are kept up-to-date on Debi's
progress through daily postings.  Debi's recovery will be a lengthy
process, but she and her family won't be going through it alone.

    Amid stories of fraud, betrayal and pornography on the Internet, this
is a tale of a lot of good-hearted people using that same electronic
network to reach out to someone in need.

    Connected in cyberspace through their common concern for a young woman
many of them have never even met, members of this caring group have forged
and strengthened their own mutual bonds.  And without thought for
recognition or reward, they've clearly demonstrated how the innate goodness
of the human race can be enhanced by technology.

    It's a lesson worth remembering.