From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Omagh Blast Stuns Northern Ireland

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 27 Aug 1998 20:08:00

27-August-1998
98282
    Omagh Blast Stuns Northern Ireland;
    Clergy Support the Grieving

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-When Father Michael Keaveny heard the low rumble of the
explosion that killed 28 people and wounded 220 others in Omagh, Northern
Ireland, Aug. 15, it didn't even occur to him that the noise might be a
bomb.

    Those days, he thought, were over.  Perhaps the rumble came, he
surmised, from a nearby army barracks. It was more than a half hour before
Keaveny heard what actually happened, since the blast knocked out the
town's telephones.

      A week and two funerals later, he's still trying to "catch up" with
the 50 or so parishioners in Drumragh Parish that he estimates were injured
in the worst sectarian killing Northern Ireland has seen in 29 years of
violence. The bombing occurred just four months after republican and
unionist voters overwhelmingly approved the Good Friday Agreement.

    The Good Friday Agreement alters the province's political structure to
give the republican, and typically Catholic, minority more authority and
the Irish Republic more say in the government of Northern Ireland.  But it
maintains the six-county province's historical ties to Great Britain.

    The months of complicated political negotiating that went into the
agreement were supposed to end the armed struggle that has plagued Irish
politics for two centuries and to put the question of sovereignty in the
hands of the province's voters - which now and for the foreseeable future
is made up of a unionist and largely Protestant majority.  The agreement's
provisions allow the northern six counties to be absorbed within the Irish
Republic to the south only when voters mandate it.

    "People here are mystified," Keaveny said, speaking of the car bomb.
"Why?  The whole thing is so daft.  So stupid.  It makes no sense
whatsoever.  Unfortunately, it's been a tradition in this country that
people think that they can get things through violence.  It goes back a 100
years.  But that day is gone. ... The whole thing changed with the Good
Friday Agreement.

    "It doesn't make sense anymore."

     Omagh is a case study for how little sense it makes.

    A predominantly Catholic town about 70 miles west of urban Belfast,
Omagh is surrounded by dairy farms and even smaller villages.  The bomb
killed and maimed shoppers who were running Saturday errands and buying
clothes for the first day of school.

    The Real IRA, a republican splinter group that broke away from the
dominant provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) when the IRA backed the
peace agreement, first took credit for and then apologized for the bombing.
At presstime, both the Dublin and Belfast newspapers were printing that the
Real IRA was expected to call an end to its violent campaign Aug. 27.

    Sinn Fein, the political arm of the IRA, condemned the violence shortly
after the explosion.

     But after days of wakes and funerals, the political climate of
Northern Ireland was obscured by grief that is almost impossible to put
into words.

    "We just say nothing. We'd break down if we tried to say anything.
It's at that level," said the Rev. Robert Herron, pastor of  Trinity
Presbyterian Church, speaking of Omagh's 25 or so clergy who have been
meeting together to coordinate all the competing demands of  visitations,
funerals and other rites that are necessary.  "You just go, shake hands,
embrace, cry with people.

    "Crying, that's really the level we're at here," said Herron, who,
though spared any funerals at his own 350-family parish, is spending full
days of  provincewide hospital visitation. Interviewed by the Presbyterian
News Service Aug. 17 at midnight, Herron was on his way out to another wake
after "slugging back" a cup of tea.  Irish families traditionally "wake" a
body by bringing it home and having neighbors and friends visit until two
or three in the morning.

      "As far as the town is concerned, we're at the sort of level where
we're dealing with bodies coming home, getting to neighbors' homes and
getting to hospitals, since many were flown by helicopter to Belfast or
Derry, all the ends of the province," Herron said. "It's going to take some
time for things at the community level to settle down, to realize what's
going on here, what we're about."

    Herron said lines of neighbors 30-40 meters long were still forming
outside homes in Omagh at midnight, with people moving from house to house,
sometimes moving just a few yards to reach the next coffin-filled sitting
room.

    In nearby Creevan, Presbyterian minister the Rev. Arthur O'Neill buried
a father and a son, two of the four Presbyterians from there who died, and
is now concerned about the ongoing emotional care of  "the utterly
devastated" widow and mother who now lives alone.  Bryan White, 27, was
buried with his father, Fred, 60, just two days after the young man was to
begin a new job as a town horticulturalist.  Gardening was something both
men loved, O'Neill said, adding that the father was a grower of daffodils
that often won prizes in local shows.

    "What we're doing here is listening.  Often you can't say anything,
just listen to the suffering," said O'Neill, who has been marrying and
burying generations of families in Creevan for 35 years now.  "I have two
dead in my congregation, two with relatives who are dead, three members in
the hospital in Belfast, two children in the hospital in Derry ... with
injuries ranging from the loss of sight to multiple fractures.

    "Just a tidal wave of sorrow has swept over me," said O'Neill, who says
that the task now is to begin the "not so easy work of overcoming evil with
good, as God would have it."

    That's happening now in tangible but subtle ways.  There's no talk,
clergy say, of being Protestant or Catholic - just a terrible sorrow about
all of the loss.

    "There's a great desire to be with one another, to say, `I'm sorry for
your trouble.'  It's not to comfort yourself, but to comfort someone else,"
said just ordained the Rev. Ruth Adams of the over 500-family St. Columbus
parish of the Church of Ireland. She says that members of her new
congregation are offering her as much support as she's giving.  "Many knew
each other very well [here] ... and I think hope does come from the way
people show love.

    "We're all getting strength from God in this time. People say that to
me.  It's tangible."

    The Omagh community, led by local clergy in the four historic churches
- the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Roman Catholic Church, the Church
of Ireland and the Methodist Church in Ireland - held a time of prayerful
reflection Aug. 22 in the town center at exactly the time of the bombing
the previous week.  A minute of silence was observed at 3:10 p.m. just
after the names of the dead were read out loud.  Similar gatherings were
held throughout Northern Ireland in solidarity with the people of Omagh.

    The service was an attempt to begin moving as a community from what one
pastor calls "total despair ... to a little bit of hope" - to unite the
community, at least for the moment, around the cry "Never again!"

    "It is an evil thing that happened," said Adams. "Evil is a thing to be
angry about.  If we're not angry about evil, something is wrong ... but
[what matters] is how we use that anger.  We can also pray for mercy and
grace, for those harness evil. ...

    "This is a great wee town and we can't let evil prevail when there is
so much good," said Adams, who said few had heard of Omagh before the blast
drew international attention there. Even her friends in England hadn't
heard of the town when she accepted the call to her parish, she added.  "No
one knew our wee town.  But I'm praying now that ... Omagh will be a sign
of hope."

    In 35 years of ministry, this is O'Neill's second pastoral encounter
with the sectarian violence that has so dominated Northern Ireland's
politics.  Earlier, he had buried a 24-year-old man who was ambushed on the
road and shot dead in County Tyrone.

    "The challenge," he said, referring to how wounds have historically
festered in this conflict, "is not to let the forces of evil defeat the
forces of good. ... We've got to think in terms of decades, not months and
days.

    "It has taken us 30 years to get a peace agreement," he said. "It could
take us another 30 years to get it up and going."