From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Clinton encouraged to sign global warming protocol

From "Cliff Willis"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 28 Aug 1998 13:57:23

Date: August 28, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98b-52

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- General Minister and President Richard L. Hamm
is among the signers of an Aug. 10 letter urging President Clinton to
support a Kyoto, Japan-based global warming initiative.

	Hamm and other National Council of Churches-related leaders
encouraged Clinton to sign the Kyoto Protocol to the Climate
Convention and submit it to the Senate for action. "We pledge to you
our active support," the letter read.

	"We have been encouraged by your administration's public commitment
to address climate change responsibly," church leaders said. "We are
convinced that leadership from the United States is crucial for
global efforts on climate change to be successful."

	The Kyoto Protocol represents the first step toward reducing gas
emissions that cause global warming, according to the group. "It is
an important move toward protecting God's children and God's
creation."

	If emissions causing climate changes were traced to 1800, the U.S.
would be responsible for more than 30 percent, said the leaders. The
least developed nations, however, are feeling the effects and will be
most severely affected. "For this reason alone, the United States has
a special responsibility to address the problem of climate change
without delay.

	"We have committed ourselves to working for the passage of the
protocol in the Senate," the letter continued. "Perhaps we can work
together broadly on greater environmental education through America's
religious communities."

                                                    -- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm