From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kentucky Disciples send hay to Florida, Texas farmers

From "Cilfford Willis"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 28 Aug 1998 13:58:24

Date: August 28, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98b-53

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- A Ewing, Ky., Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) minister is  spearheading a hay drive to help drought
stricken farmers in Northern Florida and South Texas.

	Disciples congregations in six Kentucky counties sent 230 tons of
hay to Florida in July. "Now we have redirected our efforts to send
hay to Texas," said the Rev. Jason Moats, pastor of Ewing Christian
Church. He also is a student at Lexington (Ky.) Theological
Seminary.

	Fire and drought in Northern Florida nearly destroyed the corn and
hay crops, creating losses of more than $135 million, according to
Florida Department of Agriculture officials. The livestock market
lost an estimated $40 million as crop losses cut into food supplies
for the cattle industry.

	Officials with the Florida and Kentucky agriculture departments
facilitated getting the hay shipment to drought stricken areas.
Transportation was donated by two railroad companies.

	Moats is looking for similar cooperation with the Texas hay drive.
"We could help relieve a lot of stress, particularly in southeastern
Texas and an area between San Antonio and Houston," he said. The Fort
Stockton area near Houston has been particularly hard hit.

	"Transportation is our biggest problem," he said. The CSX and Union
Pacific railroads have tentatively agreed to provide 10 railcars for
the Texas shipment. The cars are scheduled to be loaded the week of
Sept. 7.

	The idea for the hay drive evolved during a discussion Moats had
with another LTS student, Holly Spencer. After a visit home to the
Alabama/Northwest Florida region, Spencer commented on how the fire
and drought had affected area farmers. The students then talked with
central and eastern Kentucky farmers about providing assistance.

	"This area may not have a lot of money or people to send down there.
But it does have a lot of hay," Moats said. The Florida hay shipment
was worth more than $11,500.

	                                   -- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm