From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA and LCMS pursue theological conversations

From FRANK_IMHOFF.parti@ecunet.org (FRANK IMHOFF)
Date 16 Sep 1998 16:06:51

Christian unity and a Lutheran approach to post-modern society

CHICAGO, Illinois, U.S.A./GENEVA, 14 September 1998 (elca/lwi) - The
leaders of the two largest Lutheran church bodies in the United States met
in Chicago on August 17 to start making plans for formal discussions
between them. Thus it was that the Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) played host to the
president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), A. L. Barry.

The two church bodies share the Lutheran tradition and the Augsburg
Confessions of the Reformation, and they cooperate in many social services;
however, they have differed on matters of biblical interpretation and
relations with other Christian churches. They have not engaged in
"intra-Lutheran" conversations since the formation of the ELCA in 1988.

"President Barry and I had a very promising discussion about initiating a
series of theological conversations between representatives of our
respective church bodies," said Anderson. "We are now in the process of
developing a specific format and list of topics."

Anderson said he hopes the churches can discuss such topics as ecumenical
decisions and the broader question of how each church views unity with
other Christians, as well as the Lutheran approach toward post-modern
society.

"I anticipate," said Anderson, "that I will have a recommendation ready for
the next meeting of the ELCA Church Council", which will be held in Chicago
from November 12 to 16.

In August 1997, the ELCA agreed to enter into "full communion" with the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the Reformed Church in America and the United
Church of Christ, and it adopted a joint declaration on the doctrine of
justification with the Roman Catholic Church.

Last July, a national convention of the LCMS passed a resolution saying,
"In faithfulness to God's Word and the Lutheran Confessions, and motivated
by our love and concern for the people and pastors of the ELCA, we express
our deep regret and profound disagreement with these actions taken by the
ELCA." The same resolution, however, urged the two Lutheran church bodies
to keep talking to each other and supported Barry's meeting with Anderson.

The ELCA has 5.2 million members in 11,000 congregations. The Missouri
Synod has 2.6 million members in 6,200 congregations.

Lutheran World Information
Editorial Assistant: Janet Bond-Nash
E-mail: jbn@lutheranworld.org
http://www.lutheranworld.org/