From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA launches national identity campaign

From FRANK_IMHOFF.parti@ecunet.org (FRANK IMHOFF)
Date 16 Sep 1998 16:05:54

Awareness raising through visibility

CHICAGO, Illinois, U.S.A./GENEVA, 14 September 1998 (elca/lwi) - The
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is launching a nationwide
identity campaign to raise awareness of the Lutheran church among people
not associated with any church and to reinforce positive views of the ELCA
among its members. The campaign, which was unveiled to a conference of ELCA
communication professionals in Chicago, from August 27 to 30, involves
television, radio, print ads and outdoor advertising.

Christ Bangert, project manager, pointed out, "Religious advertising, once
low-key and rarely seen, is stepping up its profile.

"Pre-project research reveals that two out of three people claim religion
is more important to them now than it was one year before," he continued.
"One need only witness the increase in popularity of religious television
programming to sense the momentum of this trend."

The research directed the ELCA to two age groups: baby boomers (with
children) and "Generation X", young adults 18-30 years of age.

One television commercial features families and children, with, in the
background, the Four Tops' classic song, "Reach Out I'll Be There." Its
theme is tied to the significant rise in the importance of family among
baby boomers. "What will the world be like for our children 20 years from
now? It all depends on what we teach them today."

Another TV ad will stress the themes of diversity and peer relationships
valued by Generation X. Thirty- and sixty-second radio ads have been
produced as well.

Bangert said, "We are putting kits into the hands of 160 ELCA
communicators, including sample TV spots, radio spots, and a print ad
series that can be customized by congregations." With training and the
kits, the communicators will return to the ELCA's 65 synods "to prepare
pastors and lay leaders for the public roll-out of the campaign in their
areas and to hone their media skills, evangelism and hospitality".

According to the Rev. Eric C. Shafer, ELCA director for communication,
"This campaign is an answer to a prayer for many, a prayer that the ELCA
might be visible through the public media of television, radio, and print
advertising. It responds to requests from throughout the church and follows
three years of preparation and involvement of folks from ELCA
congregations, synods, institutions and churchwide units."

Earlier this year the ELCA formally introduced a new logo that will be
featured throughout the identity campaign.

A web site dedicated to the campaign, linked to the ELCA home page, will
offer information and a chance to respond. Additional project materials in
Spanish are being developed.

"In our research, 70 percent of respondents said their major source of
information on religion is television," Shafer said. He explained that
almost half of those could remember the specifics of an ad put out by the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Mormons.

More information on the ELCA identity campaign can be had from Kristi
Bangert: kbangert@elca.org

Lutheran World Information
Editorial Assistant: Janet Bond-Nash
E-mail: jbn@lutheranworld.org