From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Service Adventure begins 10th year

From Beth Hawn
Date 02 Sep 1998 14:50:12

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
To:  'Worldwide Faith News'
Date: 1998-09-02 14:55
Message ID: D2F85ED65442D211AAB0006008075ABF
Conversation ID: Service Adventure begins 10th year

September 2, 1998
Mennonite Board of Missions
Beth Hawn
219-294-7523
<NEWS@MBM.org>

In its 10th year, Service Adventure continues to shatter records

ELKHART, Ind. (GCMC/MBM) - Service Adventure began its 10th program year
in
August, setting new records for the third consecutive year in the numbers
of
participants, unit leaders and units.

But apart from the increasing popularity of this short-term mission
program
for 18- to 20-year-olds, the program's leaders see a growing commitment
of
young adults to mission - and a greater call of leaders into a ministry
of
discipleship with post-high-school students.

Founded in 1989 by Mennonite Board of Missions with 17 participants in
three
units in Champaign, Ill., Philippi, W.Va., and Sarasota, Fla., Service
Adventure is now a joint program of MBM of the Mennonite Church and the
Commission on Home Ministries of the General Conference Mennonite Church.

Service Adventure began its 1998-99 year with a record 10 units -
including new units in Albuquerque, N.M., Johnstown, Pa., and Lethbridge,
Alta. - the first unit in Canada.  Canadian participation in the program
continued to grow with Canadians representing 12 of this year's 50
young-adult participants, twice their number in 1997-98.

With 12 new unit leaders, 66 people are now in Service Adventure up 27
percent
from 1997-98.

"I feel incredibly optimistic about this Service Adventure year - more
than
any other," said Phil Waite, MBM coordinator for Service Adventure.

Waite's optimism comes not just from the numbers - but from the depth of
spiritual commitment he saw in many quarters as the program year began.

"I feel God is at work in this program," said Waite, who led an Aug. 1-5
retreat
in Albany, Ore., for new and returning unit leaders. "Everyone came away
from
that [retreat] with a profound sense of call and a commitment to work
with
young adults," he said.  Several unit leaders are using their two-year
commitment to Service Adventure as a time to test further call to
ministry.

Following the retreat, Waite temporarily took on the role of a unit
leader
himself to open a new unit Aug. 10 in Albuquerque, N.M. With the only
location
without a unit leader in place at the start of the 1998-99 year, the
Albuquerque
Mennonite Church found itself so enthusiastic about the possibilities for

ministry that the congregation and its Service Adventure support
committee
decided to forge ahead anyway.

Waite spent two weeks with the congregation and the Service Adventure
participants, leading the usual orientation process that each unit
experiences.  But he found such tremendous support from the congregation,

that the start-up occurred smoothly.

"It was a real treat for me to watch a church embrace a unit like that,"
Waite
said.  Although Service Adventure recruiters are still seeking to fill
the
unit leader position in Albuquerque for this program year, members of
Albuquerque Mennonite and the unit's support committee have taken on the
extra commitment of unit leader responsibilities.  Their support had a
tremendous impact on the five young adults in the Albuquerque unit: "We
don't
need a leader," they told Waite after visits from several congregation
members who live in the neighborhood.  "We've got 20 already."

Waite's experience was the most extensive time any Service Adventure
coordinator has spent with a single unit.  "It is hard not to come away
from two
weeks in a Service Adventure unit without feeling hopeful about the
future of
the church," he said. "The thing that continues to energize and excite me
is
that I can see the future of the church taking shape right before my very
eyes.
It's exciting to think about how much these young adults are going to
grow,
how much God is going to change them."

The Norristown unit opened Aug. 24, while the rest of the units -
including new
units in Johnstown and Lethbridge - opened Aug. 31.  (The Anchorage,
Alaska,
unit runs on a February to December year.)

Service Adventure provides post-high school young adults with a
short-term
adventure in service, learning and spiritual growth. In 1998-99, Service
Adventure will operate units in Albany, Ore., Albuquerque, N.M.,
Anchorage,
Alaska, Champaign, Ill., Johnstown, Pa., Lethbridge, Alta., Norristown,
Pa., Philippi, W.Va., Raleigh, N.C., and South Bend, Ind.

Living in a household with other young adults, Service Adventure
participants serve as volunteers for community service organizations,
working with children, senior citizens or people with disabilities, or
providing repair or secretarial services.

As volunteers live in a household, they test possible career interests,
participate in the life of a Mennonite congregation and engage in group
study
of the Bible, social issues and areas of personal growth under the
guidance of
a unit leader.

* * *

Tom Price       PHOTO AVAILABLE