From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church agency staff forges talks with North Korean educators

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 02 Sep 1998 14:54:34

Sept. 2, 1998	Contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{512}

By Kathy Gilbert*Ten years of slowly building mutual trust and respect
between North Korea's leaders and the United Methodist Board of Higher
Education and Ministry culminated in a recent visit by agency staff to
that country, who met with educators and governmental officials.

The board staff spent a week in June visiting North Korean schools and
meeting with educators and government officials. The group included Rev.
Roger Ireson, top staff executive of the Nashville, Tenn.,-based agency;
the Rev. Kil Sang Yoon, a director in the division of ordained ministry;
Ken Yamada, an executive in the division of higher education; and
Benjamin Ladner, president of American University in Washington, D.C.

The visit was a dream of Yoon, a native of South Korea. He has made
numerous trips to North Korea since 1989.

"I was tired of seeing the world through only one eye. I grew up with
many prejudices, and I didn't want to live that way anymore," Yoon said,
in explaining why he is so passionate about opening relations between
the churchwide agency and North Korea.
"Each time I go to North Korea, it is a growing and learning experience
for me. I go to listen with the heart of a pastor. It has been a gift
for me to develop this relationship," he said.
Through his many visits, Yoon has been able to establish relationships
with officials, and he is held in high esteem, Ireson said.
"We were able to build friendships, and we came away with a better
understanding of the North Korean people," Ireson said. "A measure of
the trip's success was that they want us to return and continue our
dialogue."
Future plans between the agency and North Korea will include more trips,
with representatives from other United Methodist-related schools
participating, he said.

"While some limited programmatic possibilities might exist, such as
inviting North Korean scholars for a conference and seminars, at the
present time it is very important to make a sincere effort to having
continuing face-to-face dialogue with North Korean educators to develop
mutual friendships and trust," Yamada said.
North Korea is very influenced by the late president Kim Il Sung and his
Juche philosophy, which emphasizes self-reliance and independence,
Ireson said.
"My first impression of North Korea is they have suffered a long and
tortured history of occupation by foreign powers," Ireson said. "They
have suffered from a lack of freedom and pressure to destroy their
culture. At the same time, I was also impressed by their tremendous
spirit and their struggle to develop into a modern nation."
The visit was coordinated by Yong Sun Kim, chair of the Asia Pacific
Peace Committee, and his staff members, Pyong Chol Sin, and Byong Chol.

# # #

*Gilbert is a staff member in the Office of Interpretation at the Board
of Higher Education and Ministry.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at