From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Breakaway group seeks to become organized church in October

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 02 Sep 1998 14:55:35

Sept. 2, 1998	Contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{511}

By United Methodist News Service

The members who left First United Methodist Church in Omaha, Neb., are
working to form a new congregation by the end of October.

Since June, the 350 members known as the United Methodist Laity
Fellowship have been discussing with Nebraska Annual Conference
officials the possibility of forming a new church.

The group moved away from the 1,900-member First United Methodist Church
and began worshipping at a high school last spring. Their move came
after the senior pastor, the Rev. Jimmy Creech, was acquitted March 13
in a clergy trial on charges of disobeying the order and discipline of
the denomination for performing a same-sex union ceremony at First
Church.

In 1996, the General Conference adopted a statement barring the
performance of homosexual unions by United Methodist ministers and in
the denomination's churches.

Leaders of the United Methodist Laity Fellowship have been meeting with
the Rev. Ron Croom, Omaha district superintendent, since July.

"During my first week, I met with some of the leadership of the group
and talked about the process," Croom said. He has been supervisor of the
35 United Methodist churches in the Omaha area since July 1.

The most recent meeting between the group's leaders and conference
officials occurred Aug. 24.

"We found them to be most cooperative, very supportive, eager to assist,
interested in being able to find a way to accomplish all of our goals,"
said Linda Funk, chairperson of the group's leadership team. The
nine-member team is structured in the same way as the administrative
council of a fully organized United Methodist Church.

The fellowship seeks to create a church that firmly adheres to church
tradition, incorporates a balanced vision of mission and ministry, and
takes seriously the spiritual needs of its members. "We are
investigating the possibility of becoming a fully organized United
Methodist Church by the end of October," Funk said.

The group will submit a proposal to the Omaha District Committee on
Congregational Development on Sept. 3. Then it will meet with the
committee as well as with the district board of church location and
building and the conference congregational development committee by the
end of the month.

The proposal will include information on the proposed congregation's
ministry area or geographic boundary, location, charter members,
genuineness of faith and purpose, name, budget and pastoral support. The
procedure of beginning a new church is covered in the 1996 Book of
Discipline, in paragraphs 263, 631.5j, 2519, 2520, 2521, 2522, 2543.4,
2543.5 and 2543.7.

The group plans to remain temporarily in its current location. A
permanent site will be chosen with the help of data provided by the
Percept market research firm.

"We will use Percept data for the city, choosing a location that would
not conflict with another United Methodist Church and with neighborhoods
to draw from," Croom said.

It is important for any emerging congregation to have a clarity of
purpose and know how it plans to market itself and minister to the
community, according to Rod Conser, chairperson of both the Omaha
District and Nebraska Conference congregational development committees.

It is unusual for a group that splits from another United Methodist
church to start a new congregation, Croom acknowledged, adding that the
group wants leadership and direction.

"What do we do as the church to respond to that to include them within
the fold?" he asked. "We need to consider their request and seriously
and prayerfully discern God's will in light of their request."

If the process moves ahead positively, he said, "we could be setting a
charter date with them in the near future."

# # #

The above story was adapted from an article written by Cheryl Edwards,
editor of the Nebraska Messenger, the newspaper of the Nebraska Annual
Conference.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at