From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Zambian Church Leader Killed in Car Accident

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 06 Sep 1998 07:21:02

September 6, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

ZAMBIAN ADVENTIST CHURCH LEADER KILLED IN CAR
ACCIDENT
98/29/03

Lusaka, Zambia, 06.09.1998   [ANN/APD]  Webby Mukoma,
president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in
Zambia, died this morning, September 1, in a car
accident.

Mukoma was travelling from home to work when his car
was involved in a head-on collision. He died some two
hours later from internal injuries.

Born in 1953, Mukoma became an Adventist pastor in
1977, and worked as a literature evangelist,
publishing director, school chaplain, Bible teacher,
district pastor, conference president, union
secretary and until his death president of the
Adventist Church in Zambia, reports George Mwansa,
communication director for the Adventist Church in
Eastern Africa.

"Webby Mukoma was executive secretary when I was
president of the Adventist Church in Zambia," says
Pardon Mwansa, now associate director for Stewardship
at the Adventist Church World Headquarters. "I knew
him very well, and his death is a real shock. He was
a very devout church leader, a happy smiling man who
was totally committed to the faith. A brilliant
student, he had the courage to face very difficult
situations. The Church in Zambia has lost a wonderful
and valued leader. My heart goes out to his wife and
children at this time of tragedy."

Mukoma held a BA from Solusi University and was
working toward completing his MA in Pastoral Studies
there. He is survived by his wife Ellen and seven
children.