From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Former Lutheran Bishop Asks Clinton to Resign

From NEWS <NEWS@elca.org>
Date 11 Sep 1998 09:14:18

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 11, 1998

FORMER LUTHERAN BISHOP ASKS CLINTON TO RESIGN
98-AH

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Herbert W. Chilstrom, former presiding
bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), sent an open
letter Sept. 1 to President Bill Clinton asking him to resign.  Chilstrom,
who served as the first bishop of the ELCA beginning in 1988, stressed that
he is active in the Democratic party in Minnesota.
     "It's been two weeks since I heard your admission that you had 'an
inappropriate relationship' with a young woman over a period of several
months near the Oval Office," Chilstrom said.  " I have come to the painful
conclusion that you should resign your office immediately."
     Chilstrom cited "personal concern" for the president and his family.
He said Clinton has "betrayed the youth and families of America" and
expressed concern for the public servants implicated in the president's
"misdeeds."  Chilstrom said Clinton's "critical role" as Commander in Chief
has been "undermined."
     He said, "Since it impacts me very directly, I must also mention the
disappointment and shame you have brought to our Democratic Party."
Chilstrom retired in 1995 and lives at Pelican Rapids, Minn.
     In his letter Chilstrom said, "As Americans, we are not naive.  Most
of us believe that you cannot make a sharp distinction between how you
function at your desk in the Oval Office and how you behave in a side room
only a few feet away.  We believe it inevitably has an impact on your work
as our president."
     Chilstrom said, "Anyone who has been in a position of high and
visible leadership in government, church, business, or any other arena,
knows the power of temptation.  Money, Power, Sex -- that subtle, unholy
trinity of evil, is a constant threat."  He said, "To be tempted is one
thing; to fall is another.  To fall once and be sorrowful is one thing; to
fall again and again and only admit to an 'inappropriate relationship' when
one is caught is another."

     [additional quotes from Chilstrom letter to Clinton]

"There is personal concern for you.  I am convinced that you cannot
reconstruct your own life and that of your family while trying to be
president.  If you care for Hillary and Chelsea, you need to devote days
and weeks to intense therapy.  You need the best counsel you can find.
Without this commitment, I see no way that your marriage can survive."

"Besides your own family, you have betrayed the youth and families of
America.  Those who espouse the insidious philosophy that 'nothing is wrong
unless you get caught' can now point to you as Exhibit A.  You've pleaded
with youth to stay away from drugs.  Now they can say that as long as no
one catches them it's not a problem."

"Then there is concern for those public servants whom you have implicated
in your misdeeds.  I can hardly describe the embarrassment my wife and I
felt as we watched Madeline Albright try to field questions about her
relationship with you since your admission of wrong-doing.  For this
eloquent and dedicated public servant to have to stonewall the questions
raised about her earlier statement of certainty about your affirmation of
innocence was a moment of disgrace for all Americans."

"There is another issue that has had little notice in the public media.  I
have in mind your office as Commander in Chief of our armed forces, a
critical role that has been undermined by your behavior.  You agreed to
withdraw the nomination of an officer as Chief of Staff when it became
known that he had had an 'inappropriate' relationship with a woman between
marriages.  Should our Commander in Chief remain in office when he has had
an 'inappropriate' relationship while married?"

"You agreed to a policy that forbids gay and lesbian persons, no matter how
circumspect their lives, to be open about their sexuality.  If they can be
banned from military service for relationships that do not impinge on the
personal rights of others, should not their Commander in Chief be banned
from service for heterosexual behavior that compromises his authority?"

"Since it impacts me very directly, I must also mention the disappointment
and shame you have brought to our Democratic Party.  When I retired from
the office of bishop and had more discretionary time I decided to practice
what I had preached -- to become active in one of the major parties. Though
never strongly partisan, I decided that the Democratic Party more closely
espoused the ideals I have held over the years.  I got involved.  I serve
as chair of our township precinct and as vice-chair of our county
organization."

"I took pride in being identified as a Democrat.  Now, like many fellow
Democrats, I'm hurting.  Though I know that the misdeeds of one person
should not and can not characterize an entire body, I feel disgrace and
want to look down when others remind me of what the leader of my party has
done."

"You have pleaded for space to have a personal life.  No reasonable person
will deny that to you.  Only the sick-minded, the late-night comics or
those intent on destroying you for political reasons would speculate about
or pry into the sanctity of how you and Mrs. Clinton live together in the
privacy of your bedroom.  But when you are caught in the kind of
'inappropriate' behavior which you have admitted, then it is no longer a
private, personal matter."

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html