From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Theologians Ask 'Does Faith Work?'

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 11 Sep 1998 13:09:45

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 11, 1998

LUTHERAN THEOLOGIANS ASK 'DOES FAITH WORK?'
98-32-185-FI

     TECHNY, Ill. (ELCA) -- Theologians discussing doctrine is not a news
event, said Dr. Dorothy Bass, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Ind.  When
they start connecting doctrines and practices, she said, that's surprising.
     About 60 members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
who teach theology in U.S. colleges and seminaries met here Aug. 21-23 with
six bishops and about 11 staff members of the ELCA's churchwide offices in
Chicago.  The Convocation of Teaching Theologians, hosted by the ELCA's
Division for Ministry, addressed the theme "Does Faith Work? Vocation and
Responsible Citizenship."
     In her keynote address, Bass defined practices as "meaningful
activities that take shape within social groups."  She said, "Christian
practices are things Christian people do with one another over time to
address fundamental human needs in the light of and in response to God's
active presence for the life of the world."
     Bass used the tradition of providing hospitality to strangers as an
example of a practice of the church.  "Hospitality is made up of hard work
accomplished under risky conditions, and it is best done in community," she
said.
     "Teaching theologians, as such, have an important role in the
building up of the practices of Christian people.  It is your calling to
bring the church's still-unfolding heritage of learning to bear on this,"
said Bass.  "In this you guard against the hardening of the practices into
processes of unreflective socialization."
     Participants met in smaller groups to discuss the contents of the
first draft of a social statement that the ELCA Division for Church in
Society has been preparing for the ELCA's 1999 Churchwide Assembly.  The
draft "puts us in tension with some of the economic thinking in our society
and in our lives," said the Rev. Karen L. Bloomquist, ELCA director for
studies.
     Hearings are being conducted around the church to elicit comments
that will inform the next draft.  Bloomquist collected responses from the
theologians.
     Participants also ventured answers to the theme question, "Does Faith
Work?" in eight topical seminars: criminal justice, delivery of health
care, global development, household economics, local community development,
political life, public education and workplace economics.
     The U.S. criminal justice system is a challenging place to apply
one's faith, said Kathryn L. Johnson, Louisville Presbyterian Theological
Seminary, Louisville, Ky.  It is possible to experience God's grace while
dealing with crime and punishment, she said.
     "We noted that many of our questions about criminal justice are
intertwined with questions about our economic system," said Johnson.
Noting that theologians are not touched by the criminal justice system in
the same way that it touches others, she said the group must "use its best
ears" to listen to the experiences of others.
     Chief Judge Alan Pearson of Iowa's 1st Judicial District, Dubuque,
joined the criminal justice seminar as a resource person.  Resource people
for other seminars included Dr. Jane Rossing Frankenberger, West Lafayette,
Ind.; Dr. Rebecca Judge, St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minn.; Dr. John P.
Kretzmann, Chicago; Kenneth J. Rojek, Lutheran General Hospital, Park
Ridge, Ill.; State Senator Brian D. Rude, Coon Valley, Wis.; and Dr. Dean
Ryerson, Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
     The seminar on the delivery of health care worked on describing
"care," reported the Rev. Ronald W. Duty, ELCA assistant director for
studies.  "Is healing the aim, or is health care the aim?" he asked.  "Are
they the same?"
     "There are things that we can do that do not require a hospital,"
Duty said.  Faith works when we keep in touch with those who are sick or
dying, he said.  It works when we are sick or dying, he added.
     The church is called by God to be involved in global development,
said the Rev. Winston D. Persaud, Wartburg Theological Seminary, Dubuque,
Iowa.  Christians must see the realities of life and look for signs of
hope, he said.
     The good news is that we are not alone, said Persaud.  "The question
is not 'What will I do tomorrow?' but 'What will God do tomorrow, and how
am I to be involved?'"
     Personal, social and church economics are so integrated that they are
difficult to separate, said Dr. Russell C. Kleckley, Newberry College,
Newberry, S.C.  The seminar on household economics said Christians can see
their time and financial management directly linked to their faith.
     Household decisions about what is wanted and what is needed are
influenced by Christian practices of stewardship, said Kleckley.  "Find
small ways to begin, and those issues will lead you to the bigger issues,"
he said.
     Local community development begins "by focusing on its assets," said
the Rev. Arthur Leichnitz, North America regional officer for the Lutheran
World Federation.  He said the most successful development happened in
communities after looking at "what resources are already available rather
than what needs to be brought in."
     "Our society seems to be very experienced in developing policy out of
sin," said Leichnitz.  "Can we practice developing policy out of grace" to
build on our strengths?
     The Lutheran church has "trouble motivating our members to be
involved in public life, specifically politics," said the Rev. H. Frederick
Reisz Jr., president of Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia,
S.C.  While it is known to advocate for justice in public policies, he
said, "the Lutheran community doesn't have a grand tradition of being in
the center of public life."
     Speaking for the seminar on political life, Reisz acknowledged that
pastors are trained to be counselors and to deal with individual needs.
They don't have a lot of training in reaching out to their communities.
     "We have no unique insights as Lutherans in the problems of public
education," said Dr. Mark C. Mattes, Grand View College, Des Moines, Iowa,
"nor could we recommend any specific policies to solve those problems."
     Public education and Christian faith have a lot in common, said
Mattes.  "Serving the neighbor is the key to what public education is all
about," he said.  "We don't need to Christianize public schools."
     Biblical truths are difficult to apply to the specifics of workplace
economics, said  Robert A. Sitze, ELCA associate director for ministry in
daily life resources.  "Economic systems are basically truths about social
relationships," he said, and it is possible to apply "godly" purposes to
"ungodly" systems.
     Christianity provides a community within which workplace economics
exist, said Sitze.  Christianity also provides a witness of "the model
context" for such economics.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director 1-773-380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html